Data recording software

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So lately I have been thinking about creating a good way to record information about Ts that's quick and easy to use. Being a software developer I'd like to go ahead and write my own code, gui, etc to do so. I know there already exists software for this, but I need something to do with my spare time and to just keep my skills sharp.

The way I'm planning on setting it up is to have a tab layout, in which the main tab has a list of the user's species and name(like: Pterinochilus murinus(Lucy)). From here the user can select from the list and it will open up a new tab containing various fields of the selected tarantula's information. This info can of course be edited or added to.

So overall its pretty straight forward and simple to use. My questions to you are: any suggestions as far as layout/set up/user friendliness/additional ideas?

Also, when you go to record information about your Ts, what info do you record? Species, DLS, Molts(date, new size), etc.

Just trying to get an idea of what all potential users would like in a program like this.

Thanks!

morg59jeep

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think having the ability to attach a picture to each molt would be cool.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I've always just used Excel as a spreadsheet, so a tabbed booklet (would have to be a book for vast numbers) might be neat.

T's Name. Latin name. Common species name. Gender. Date hatched or acquired. WC/CB/CR. From where or whom. Size at initial procurement.

Feeding dates.

Molting dates and size notes at molt dates.

Rehousing or housecleaning notes.

Sale/death dates.

Misc. Notes.

These are basically what I note for all of mine.

Marga

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think having the ability to attach a picture to each molt would be cool.
Ah yes, I forgot to mention pictures. I am probably going to have a picture viewer type box along in the tab with the specific tarantula, that way the user can add pictures of said T and scroll through them as needed

I've always just used Excel as a spreadsheet, so a tabbed booklet (would have to be a book for vast numbers) might be neat.

T's Name. Latin name. Common species name. Gender. Date hatched or acquired. WC/CB/CR. From where or whom. Size at initial procurement.

Feeding dates.

Molting dates and size notes at molt dates.

Rehousing or housecleaning notes.

Sale/death dates.

Misc. Notes.

These are basically what I note for all of mine.

Marga
Yeah, I use an Excel sheet for right now too. Its pretty similar to the gui i wanna make, a species list page, click it and it will take you to the right species sheet which lists hyperlinks of all the ts i have of that species, then click the name and it jumps to the right spot on the sheet. Also just about done writing a macro for it that is used to quickly add new ts, enter some basic data(species name ect) and it will add the t to the species list and list the t on the right species sheet and add a spot on the sheet for the t, ect.

Also thanks for some of those ideas of things to add as far as recording data, i use most of those, but some of those i would have never considered

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tab layouts are terrible, imo.

What language are you using? What platform?

There's a lot of formatting involved if you want this software to look good and still perform all the functions you're talking about. Pictures are nice, but really not something I'd put too much effort into. Not many people have cameras (or the knowledge required) to take decent pictures, nor do I feel the picture functionality would be utilized much anyway.

It might be nice to have a way to switch between current, sold, and deceased spiders. I know I like to keep track of what I sell, when I sell it, who I sell it to, and how much I sell it for, not just the date I sell it.

I don't really find it necessary to keep track of tank maintenance, but that's just me.

Also, breeding data (for those of us who partake) would definitely be something worth adding. Dates, time, temps, humidity, how many insertions, sac production date, sac removal date, date of eggs with legs, date of first instar, date of second instar, and general breeding notes.

Just my thoughts.

--Joe

losct2381

Arachnosquire
make sure it's mac friendly.
molt dates
purchase dates
feeding record section
diff kinds of prey items eaten
size chart
reference area like anatomy map with named sections
usual life spans
adult sizes
i mean thats what i would like to see

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Now you're asking for caresheet-type info...not data recording software.

losct2381

Arachnosquire
No I mean to add a section with this stuff along with the recording data. I mean I Would like to see that. Make it a total information bad so u cam look up ur information but also look up stuff about ur t's spieces. Third are my preferences. He asked for ideas that's mine

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Damn my phone always try's to correct me with that auto correction. Make me look illiterate some times lol

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well here are some quick screen shots of progress so far. I've got more done than showing, but still quite a bit to do. I feel its coming along nicely. Any criticism or suggestions are welcome. Also, any questions about the functionality(or planned functionality) of anything you see?

TRoom_ScreenShot1_3-26-11.jpg

TRoom_ScreenShot2_3-26-11.jpg

TRoom_ScreenShot3_3-26-11.jpg

TRoom_ScreenShot4_3-26-11.jpg

Tab layouts are terrible, imo.

What language are you using? What platform?
I was going to avoid tabs since I came up with a better idea for displaying the information(the collapsing panels), but the broader the functionality of the program has become, I've found it to be the best method to include all I want. I think I found a nice balance though as I try to keep non-essential information, such as contacts and calendar stuff, off the main tarantula tab as they are things that may never been implemented by a user, just there if its wanted. The breeding tab though was also necessary since there was so much to the aspect of breeding that it required its own space(I also consider it non-essential to a large amount of enthusiasts who do not breed, but allows them room to implement this record keeping if they decide to breed in the future).

I decided to use Java mainly to keep it platform independent.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Okay well 1. I would prefer the option of having either species first or ID first on the list because someone of us keep very large collections with multiples of a species. 2. I would like to easily be able to move Ts on the list. My current software I use doesn't allow me to do that and it's frustrating when I have to scroll line by line to find the right one. Probably a filtering option to sort by species, maturity, and gender will solve that. 3. I think you should implement a graphing system that charts their growth after each molt.

Edit: Oh and more importantly, a way to pull out information on a specific tarantula record to be able to print. For example, if I wanted to print out my records on both Ts or one T, I would be able to get a text form.

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the feedback!

Edit: Oh and more importantly, a way to pull out information on a specific tarantula record to be able to print. For example, if I wanted to print out my records on both Ts or one T, I would be able to get a text form.
A way to export records will definitely be in there, both in some format that will allow for backup/transferring between systems, and as a textual report for the user.

Okay well 1. I would prefer the option of having either species first or ID first on the list because someone of us keep very large collections with multiples of a species. 2. I would like to easily be able to move Ts on the list. My current software I use doesn't allow me to do that and it's frustrating when I have to scroll line by line to find the right one. Probably a filtering option to sort by species, maturity, and gender will solve that. 3. I think you should implement a graphing system that charts their growth after each molt.
If you notice at the bottom of the tarantula list, there is a button that says "Filter Options...". I plan now to allow filtering to an extreme, lol. Here is how I project the dialog to be like:
ListFilterDialog.jpg
As you can see, it basically will allow the user to filter on just about any combination of any aspects of the tarantula's information. I would have included this in the screen shots but haven't began coding on that ability yet because its still low on program functionality compared to what else I'm still working on. Trust me, of all the programs I saw out there, filtering was one of my key differences. Just makes it easier for users with large collections.

In addition, I didn't mention this earlier but I plan at some point implementing statistical analysis. For example, avg time between molts, avg growth size, avg # times molted, etc. Coupling this with the filter can allow for powerful analysis since one can get these calculations for males, females, genus, species, essentially any combination you can filter on.

I envision possibly in the far future that perhaps have a server set up where the user can upload the exported backup file to a server and then these statistics and metrics can be measured en masse to all the participants tarantulas. This I feel would be a great benefit for the hobby to have access to since it would allow a look at large data-set getting us that much closer to truly accurate guidelines that can be inferred from such statistical analysis. The only worry I have with this is things such as user integrity(how truthful is what they uploaded? is it all a lie and they're just trolling to skew the real answer?).