Darkness

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
is it a proven fact that once a person finds out for sure that their T is in premolt keeping it in the dark for all or most of the day will make it go into the molting process faster???

I ask this because to a tarantula doesnt quietness and darkness mean security and safety?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your partially right. You shouldn't say faster because that indicates the process of molting would be sped up. This is not true. What is true is that if the T is left in the dark and left alone, there will be no interuptions staveing off the impending molt. So it's not going to go faster, it's just not going to have any interuptions.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like cheetah said, it won't really go faster, it'll just be safer and way less stressful. It could possibly molt earlier since there are no interuptions, but I'm not sure on how true that actually is. Is one of your Ts in premolt?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like cheetah said, it won't really go faster, it'll just be safer and way less stressful. It could possibly molt earlier since there are no interuptions, but I'm not sure on how true that actually is. Is one of your Ts in premolt?
I'm waiting for one of my H gigas...he has blocked off his door entrance but that was like two - three weeks ago and its still blocked off i dont know what he is doing under there but I'm still waiting..that's all, just a question...

thanks for the responses.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Increasing the temps will speed it up. That is about the only thing I can think of. Just give it another week or ten and it will happen.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Increasing the temps will speed it up. That is about the only thing I can think of. Just give it another week or ten and it will happen.
I made a mistake, when I said speed it up, I didn't mean make it molt faster, I just meant make it go into the actually molting process faster.

Does that make sense to anyone? :? I just want to make sure everyone understands where I'm coming from.

Diva Satanica

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I made a mistake, when I said speed it up, I didn't mean make it molt faster, I just meant make it go into the actually molting process faster.

Does that make sense to anyone? :? I just want to make sure everyone understands where I'm coming from.
You mean speed up the process from start of the molt to end of the molt?

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
heat and humidity plays a big part to and my ones do there molting in the light or dark ?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Yeah, that makes sense. It just didn't quite read that way but it makes sense.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Increasing the temps will lessen the time between now and the start of the molt. The molt itself cannot/should not be sped up. It will molt in the day or night, it will usually molt on its back but this is not always so. If it starts to molt LEAVE IT ALONE. No matter what position it is in.