Dark Valley (South Hungary)

Fince

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My second photoround shows some arthropoda which also native near by my home. These pictures taken at the Hungarian Dark Valley.

Dark Valley is the part of Transdanubian Hills. Covered by deciduous forest (Oaks, Beech, Hornbeam..etc).

Few habitat pictures

Spiders:

Pirata sp.

Female Wolf spider with eggsac

Long legged Tethragnathidae

Meta segmentata

Beetles:

European Rhinoceros Beetle (Oryctes nasicornis) male

Stag Beetle (Lucanus cervus) male

and female

Lesser stag beetle (Dorcus parallelepipedus) female

Rosalia longicorn (Rosalia alpina)

Either rarest Cerambycidae of Hungary. Their preferred habitat, the European Beech.

Morinus funereus

Others:

Hoverfly (Volucella zonaria) one of the largest hoverflies here, a mimic of Vespa crabro (Hornet)

Cicada’s shed skin

Finally some butterflies:

European peacock caterpillar (Inachis io)

Pale Clouded Yellow (Colias hyale)

Marbled White (Melanargia galathea)

Silver-washed Fritillary (Argynnis paphia)

Last edited:

SuperRad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Absolutely beautiful! :clap:

Would you catch a few of those Morinus funereus and send 'em over to me? That rhino beetle was pretty rad too. I'll take one of those as well.

Thanks in advance!

Fince

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Absolutely beautiful! :clap:

Would you catch a few of those Morinus funereus and send 'em over to me? That rhino beetle was pretty rad too. I'll take one of those as well.

Thanks in advance!
Thank you!

The Morinus funereus protected species in Hungary.:embarrassed: The Dark Valley also protected area. So sorry, but i can send just pictures from this species.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Excellent photos...you have a very good eye!
I love the stag beetle...thanks for posting!!!!
:clap:

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
As always, beautiful photos Fince.
Those macro shots are excellent!

T Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The butterflies are beautiful and the beetles are really cool.

Fince

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you all!

UrbanJungles said:
I love the stag beetle...
Me too! Fortunately, the L. cervus not so rare here (protected them strict law since 70's...which necessary). Good feeling to find any when they have swarming time (end of May and June). If you are lucky you can see more large beetles as they eat on the side of wounded old oaks.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow Fince! Those are excellent photographs. I don't think I would have posted my own thread if I would have looked at your photos first. :) Thank you for sharing.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wonderful shot of the stags feeding...I have never been lucky enough to see even our American sp. Thank you for sharing, great pics!!!!!

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Hey Danny, central kentucky usually has stags all over a Wall-mart in the eve under the lights in the early summer. Long pincers and females also.

Fince

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does that mean you'll bring the beer?
See you there!
:D
Now you can choose two destinations at the airport if you want to see stag beetles ;).

What does the US species look like (i think more different stag spp. living in US or North America) and which species native there?

GQ. said:
Wow Fince! Those are excellent photographs. I don't think I would have posted my own thread if I would have looked at your photos first. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you! Oh, i don't think that...i love to see the field trip pictures from another countries. Example your rattlers are very exotic things for me, because i can see them in books or scientific channels here, but cool things to see them and theirs habitat on personal photos:clap: .

I saw many interesting pictures in this topic which inspire me to upload my pictures from the fauna which native around here. Yes i like the photography, and the possibble best quality pictures, but i think this is not photo contest, and most of users (want to) do simple photodocumentation here (me too). So the art isn't the previous aspect to me on this forum (everybody can find it on several special photographic forums if want to "sink" in the art or discussion from inconsequential things)...Otherwise your pictures are fine. I waiting for the others...thank you for sharing!

Last edited:

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
very similiar to the ones posted in the pics, body about 1.5-2" and pincers almost the same length. waaayyy down there they call them the elephant stag, and Danny I'll be there this summer catching arrow shaped micranthena and some bess beetles

Last edited:

Fince

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
very similiar to the ones posted in the pics, body about 1.5-2" and pincers almost the same length. waaayyy down there they call them the elephant stag, and Danny I'll be there this summer catching arrow shaped micranthena and some bess beetles
Thank you for the infos! If possibble, i also waiting the pictures from them (and the fieldtrip) of course!:}

Last edited:

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can you give details about the equipment you use to take the pictures?
Macro lens? What type?

thanks