Dark fishing spider molting

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Very beautiful! It looks to have gained a lot of size!

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Very beautiful! It looks to have gained a lot of size!

Yeah she did grow good amount. I went to my collection site and found a extra large female today with an egg sack . I was thrilled because the other female I had bred the egg sack was a dud and I only had one male and she ate him.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I'm happy for you / jealous of you. Your profile say's you're from French Guyana. That does it! That tips the balance. I'm jealous of you! Life is so unfair that you get access to such good spider collecting grounds, whereas I was stuck so much of my young life in New York City. Well, at least I hardly had to maintain a roach colony back then, because there were so many roaches infesting my apartment building. So there! See, luck evens out in the end. Peace. Enjoy your spiders!

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm happy for you / jealous of you. Your profile say's you're from French Guyana. That does it! That tips the balance. I'm jealous of you! Life is so unfair that you get access to such good spider collecting grounds, whereas I was stuck so much of my young life in New York City. Well, at least I hardly had to maintain a roach colony back then, because there were so many roaches infesting my apartment building. So there! See, luck evens out in the end. Peace. Enjoy your spiders!

I need to update my profile again I'm actually living in Minnesota now:)

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Here's the larger dark fishing spider I caught yesterday.

Attachments

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Killer! Love the thick, barb setae on the legs!
Your posts are cheering me up. There's some small chance I might have to move to Minnesota for work reasons, and you're giving me some reason to be happy about that. Thanks!

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Your posts are cheering me up. There's some small chance I might have to move to Minnesota for work reasons, and you're giving me some reason to be happy about that. Thanks!

That would be cool bro :) Keep me posted.

It took me, a while before I found my first tenebrosus. I found my first one in Redwood, falls MN, it was a female she molted once and matured just under 3 inches so on the small side.

I tried to breed her, but I only had one male and he, got injured real bad. He tried but was unsuccessful. I'm assuming she ate him, she laid an egg sac but it was no good I was kinda bummed out.

That's when a few weeks ago I went to a place we often good to swim it's a man made pond close to the Minneapolis / metro area but on the outer city limits its bya huge lake.

I decided to give it a try and do some searching and ended up bringing home 6 juvenile females

Three of them molted now and couple more are in premolt.

So when I went to the same place, yesterday I found a male and was thrilled. Pic below of him.

I wasn't happy I wanted more so I found a large rotted log still weighed about 500 pounds and had lots of hollows / cavities in it. I started finding some smaller to medium sized ones.

Then I saw the large one but she went underneath the log.. I was thinking there was no way I could move it. But because it was on a slope or hill I was able to roll it over and sure enough I found the jackpot got the larger female, with an egg sac . There were a couple more medium sized ones but figured I would leave them to help with future spider generation's there.

I will probably let a few more of the females go once mature and return them to that same location.

I never like to take more than I need even though they can lay up 1000 + babies only a small percentage would even make it to adulthood.

I have enough now for breeding purposes and I also will let some go in a woods near by my home its a small woods but should do its right by a large pond.

I had been searching for years only finding dolomedes scriptus at my local river.

The tenebrosus, really do love the wooded areas surrounding lakes and river's. Problem is my river has few trees surrounding it.

Back in spring when I found my first dark fishing spider I had missed a massive female my estimate was around 4 + inches in legspan she was huge. I actual thought it was a small bird when I saw it move it kinda ducked it saw me coming I was good distance away when I saw her. And when I got closure it I was shocked at how large she was! I only saw part of her before she completely disappeared .

I posted a story about it in another thread, she lived in a hollow in a tree but it was deep I tried everything I could to get her out.

Attachments

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Alright, @wolfs79 , well if I move to Minnesota (I'll know in a little less than 2 years from now whether that's going to happen; depends on whether my wife can get a position at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester when her current training program ends): I'll look you up. You show me your collecting grounds, and I will show you my zoo -- more Ts than I need, probably give some away to someone like you! 👍

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Alright, @wolfs79 , well if I move to Minnesota (I'll know in a little less than 2 years from now whether that's going to happen; depends on whether my wife can get a position at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester when her current training program ends): I'll look you up. You show me your collecting grounds, and I will show you my zoo -- more Ts than I need, probably give some away to someone like you! 👍
[/QUOTE

Sounds good:)

EmrysNights

Arachnopeon
This beautiful lady just molted. She dropped the molt as of 15 minutes before the picture was taken. I have developed a deep love for dark fishing spiders since I found her. She's a sweetheart. And the orange-ish accents are beautiful. IMG_20220607_211748792.jpg