Dang..

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well...this sucks. Two of my really large MF Zoropsis spinimana (both been with my MM) are sick. I think I know why, but I don't know why it would just be those two since all the Zoropsis go in the same cubboard and all are fed the same cricket colony. I didn't smell anything peculiar in their containers either when I checked.

Yesterday, there was an unpleasant odor in the bathroom so I used FeBreeze (not thinking that since it was in another room the door closed that it would do any damage) :wall: but now that I think of it, even if the stuff didn't waft into my room, I don't remember washing my hands after putting the spray away. I could have easily contaminated a cricket I fed them. Would kind of explain why it was just two bugs.

Another scenario it could be a parasite. If they do die in ICU, I was thinking I'd submerge them in water and see if a worm crawls out like I've seen in YouTube videos with earwigs and spiders. Anyone know of other ways besides doing a blind autopsy to draw out worms?

Both the spiders twitch and don't walk real good. One flails wildly like it's having a seizure and then curls up. They seem to have little control over their fangs, too.

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

just a mind :

sounds like a neuronal damage caused through the spray, so your idea seems realistic to me.

to the worms : i only heard the same like you - cut the oxigen off and they come out...

bye, oli

mosca

Arachnopeon
Sorry to hear that. I can't offer any more advice but the febreeze does sound likely. I hope they get better.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Chemical damage maybe. Ive had sudden poison problems from wild caught and store bought crickets in the past. Curling up, spasms, deaths, so on...

Last edited:

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, one looks like it may make it. I put the ICU (salsa container/luke warm, moist TP) inside one of the cricket bins that has the muscle-relaxant heat pad but one has died. She was almost covered in her own poo when I picked her up.

The second female is still kind of spazzy and off-balance so I'll give her another day or two to hopefully recouperate. FeBreeze never again...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i generally feed out using tweezers for just this reason

i try not to directly touch feeders or the food i am feeding them

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Another thing to consider is if you're feeding your feeders vegetables, make sure they are thoroughly washed, as pesticides can linger on them, or use organics or a premade cricket food.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
i generally feed out using tweezers for just this reason

i try not to directly touch feeders or the food i am feeding them

We do this as well for the same reason and just simply because I sometimes find myself forgetting to wash my hands before feeding time.. but none the less, it's still unfortunate and we're very sorry to hear about your spidiies! :(