dang isopods!

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i introduced some into my anole enclosure a while back. now there are bajillions.

and, the worst part, they are eating my live plants in the terrarium. i suppose the only solution is to completely clean out, and sterilize the terrarium, which is not something i would like to do, as i currently have a bunch of baby anole eggs hidden away in there.

anybody have any good ideas? ideally i could introduce an isopod predator.

guitarkyle

Arachnopeon
i would put a sowbug killer spider in there to get rid of most of them. and do you mean the isopods bred in the tank?? I just started an isopod colony, no breeding yet though.

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you let them exhaust their food supply?

If there's nothing to eat they'll eventually die off.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
i would put a sowbug killer spider in there to get rid of most of them. and do you mean the isopods bred in the tank?? I just started an isopod colony, no breeding yet though.
wouldnt the spider turn into food for the anole ? i mean ive never heard of it and i might be setting my self up for a neck slap but ya know nothing wrong with asking:eek:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They mostly stay on the surface. Pick the adults out. Then as the babies quickly mature, start picking them out. Leave some of course. Then add them as freebies if you sell/trade stuff. Or add them to your other tanks.

And to the earlier poster, yeah, they will breed in tanks. :)

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can you let them exhaust their food supply?

If there's nothing to eat they'll eventually die off.
well, if theres live plants, decomposing material or poop in the tank then theres food. the OP would have to completely gut the tank and take out the animals and then just let them run their course...which will be some time. i started with about 300 in a tank for breeding purposes. i throw in almost any food bolus gecko poop or really just about anything that has any nutrition to it and they thrive. within 3 months i had enough to split up some into my T tanks and also sell over 200 of them, and theres STILL a ton more. sometimes ill neglect feeding them or watering them on purpose to get my numbers down. but it doesnt seem to help any lol.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They mostly stay on the surface. Pick the adults out. Then as the babies quickly mature, start picking them out. Leave some of course. Then add them as freebies if you sell/trade stuff. Or add them to your other tanks.

And to the earlier poster, yeah, they will breed in tanks. :)
this is probably your most efficient way to take care of your problem, without adults theres no more babies, and once the babies mature your number will be smaller and you can let them start to breed again, then pull out those adults and so on and so forth. not to mention you should till your soil in your live tank about ever 12-15 months and with that you can dig out the excess.