Damon variegatus male and female sex! :-P

PeriplanetaAmer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I have a pair of adult D. variegatus and this evening I put them together. The male touched many times the female body but she reject him. After that, I left them alone, more "private":D and 2-3 hours late i found the male walking out of the cork and the female was behind a "drop", I think it was the structure where the sperm is guarded (I don´t know the english word, sorry)

Male:

Female:

The strange drop:

PeriplanetaAmer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi!

Yes, I think that it´s a spermatophore. But the female take it into her body so I only can see the mark of it. I hope to have some babies:) .

Best regards,
Javier.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The spermatophore DJ posted is empty.

I doubt what you posted is a spermatophore.

PeriplanetaAmer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have good news!!!:} :

I left them alone all night and this morning I found it.

Best regards,
Javier.

PeriplanetaAmer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have good news!!!:} :

I left them alone all night and this morning I found it.

Best regards,
Javier.

Carlos.e

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah!
Eventually it occured!, good to see you Peri, in this forum.
Hehe, my male isn't the bravest one, but it isn't bad at work {D
Well, now we can only wait, hoping to see the eggs in the female's abdomen.

Strubles

Arachnopeon
congratulations man!

i´d love to have one of this...but i´m from brazil :wall:

How do you identified the sexual dimorphism of them? Is it a rule of all amblipigis?

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi!

Anyone can explane me?
I see spermathophore on the pic but I can see two females and no males - WTAT'S WRONG WITH ME???

The problem is the sexual dimorphism in Damon spp. is clearly visible in adults by the comparison of the lenght of the femur of pedipalp and walking leg I.
In males the lenght of femur of the pedipalp has exceeded the lenght of the femur of the leg.
On the pic labeled "male" there's no any sign of the male of the specimen depicted to me.

The above described dimorphism is clearly seen on my pic below, male at the front.

Attachments

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hello,
you are totally right, but did you also read that some whip spiders "MIGHT" be abel to mate before they are adult, and store the sperms and reproduce later? i read that some times, i had to look for it where.

but it is clear, that most of "normal" damon diadema/variegatus/longispinatus have elongated pedipals in males, also some euphr. etc. have that.

and btw: are you sure that you have variegatus and not diadema?!?
see here the 2 ventral spines on the pedipal trochanter! 2spines are diadema, if you see just one in your species you have variegatus!

Carlos.e

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi M.F.Bagaturov, I think my male (it's in the first pic Periplaneta posted), is a sub-adult male, the lenght of the pedipalp is longer than walking leg I. And if there is the spermathophore, and Periplaneta's one is a female, mine must be a male.
There is a pic of my male before being sent to Periplaneta.

Now there are some questions,
-Can they breed if both aren't adults?
-If the answer is afirmative, can female give birth until she molt? Or she stores the sperm and do it after molt?
-What's the time of gestation in this species (Damon variegata and diadema)?

Thanks. Carlos.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hello,
-Can they breed if both aren't adults?
if i trust literature (i didn't find the papers where i read it till yet, but i hadn't much time) it is possible to mate them before they are adult, yes. for example a damon medius species has size at first reproduction about 20mm, final size between 30 and 40mm

-If the answer is afirmative, can female give birth until she molt? Or she stores the sperm and do it after molt?
this 100% not, but whip spiders molt after giving birth - so after they are sexual adult, they continue molting after adulthood and live many years. a heterophrynus gorgo (longicornis) for example lived in CB for 7years, and was matured caught in nature, so nearly ~ 10 years in big species

-What's the time of gestation in this species (Damon variegata and diadema)?
good questions, first i think it is nearly the same time, ;)
weeks or months after mating, the female produce the egg sac, and then she carrie it some weeks, after the youngs started to prey out... i don't know exactly

PeriplanetaAmer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks!

Well, I think both male (from Carlos) and female (mine) are adults, they are big, about 5 cm lenght.

The gestation time is about 3-4 weeks I think

Best regards,
Javier.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello ALL!

Banshee05. but did you also read that some whip spiders "MIGHT" be abel to mate before they are adult, and store the sperms and reproduce later? i read that some times, i had to look for it where
No, never read about it and this is impossible for tarantulas. But I'd like to red it! Whould be thankfuk if You point me on the paper, thanks!

But if You mean that arachnids (at least, tarantulas) can produce in female smaller of the size then adult size - it is the often case.

Banshee05. are you sure that you have variegatus and not diadema?!?
If You ask me - yes, I Id it I bleive with the same paper You've refering the number of spins in.
Carlos.e and PeriplanetaAmer. If spermophore has been produced this is should be male indeed, yes. But look here's the difference clearly seen for the male and a femal. You can also see the difference in structure of the anal sternit in both. That he should be adult but if the phenotype different to what I usually expect looking for the signes of male in amblypygi.
As for the gestation, in my case I 've found her carrying the eggs in her sac over the month ago, so I think it is reffered to 1,5 months till the eggs hutches.

Attachments

Carlos.e

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We found another spermathophore in the terrarium...
This reaffirms us that there are a male and a female :D

I hope soon we can post pics of the babies

Carlos.e

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Look at this:

Photos from PeriplanetaAmer.

So, we can say they are adult?
Or can sub-adult females give birth?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Strubles: Cannibalism in Damon diadema has been observed numerous times and is most common in late instars (it probably occurs just as often in D.variegatus but that species doesn't come from Tanzania and is rarely, if ever, seen in the hobby so 99.99% of people who think they have variegatus have diadema).

Carlos.e: That's an adult female of course but females continue to molt after maturity.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
very informative, (but alittle hard to follow) thread:clap: :)