Damon medius preggers! Please help!

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
So my D. medius which I have had for about 9 months now and thriving started acting very strangely the last couple weeks.

It has been refusing food and been very reclusive, even at night.

Then today I picked up it's enclosure to really start to look for it and it came crawling out and it has a dozen or more little bubbles on the underside of it's abdomen now that from pictures I clearly recognize as eggs. They are quite large now at this point, nearly the size of peas and I am afraid about to hatch at any day.

1. Is this even possible? Are they infertile? As I said I have had her for about 9 months with no contact to a male and she has molted once in my care. Is it possible for her to have fertilized eggs with no contact with a male and even after molting?

2. If they are fertile what do I do to care for larva D. medius? So many questions! When do I septate them into their own enclosures? Do I just treat them exactly like tiny D. medius? I would really like to raise them all and send some of them off to you kind folks and raise a few more myself from the larva stage.

Appreciate any help and guidance you guys can give me. She looks like she could pop any day now so time is a factor.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
They turn black if the eggs are bad, keep her dark and moist.

im unsure if they can lay infertile clutches

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
After moulting? No, it's won't be fertile. To my knowledge, they always lose any stored sperm in a moult. I believe @aphono had a similar situation a couple of years back.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
After moulting? No, it's won't be fertile. To my knowledge, they always lose any stored sperm in a moult. I believe @aphono had a similar situation a couple of years back.
A part of me is relieved. Don't know if I am ready to be a daddy under such short notice.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
If it molted it won't have viable eggs.

Last edited:

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
If it molted it won't have visible eggs
Well it molted and now it clearly has an egg cluster under it's abdomen.

From what others have posted it seems it can have eggs, they are just sterile.

Be interesting to find out what would trigger such behavior though. I have heard of dud sacks being laid among T's quite a bit, but not what triggers it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Well it molted and now it clearly has an egg cluster under it's abdomen.

From what others have posted it seems it can have eggs, they are just sterile.

Be interesting to find out what would trigger such behavior though. I have heard of dud sacks being laid among T's quite a bit, but not what triggers it.
My post was supposed to say viable not visible.