1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Damon medius... new to tailless whip scorpions

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Crush23, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Crush23

Crush23 Arachnopeon

Wi
    Advertisement
    I picked up 3 of these st the Tinley, Illinois. I've been reading up and haven't found much besides higher humidity and high places to molt from. I was told they would be fine communally but I've read they might not be. I built their enclosure 20x14x20. They seem to be doing good. Any advice?

Attached Files:

2. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

Whip spiders do well communally - right up until they don't. Every once in a while one may get munched (particularly with sub-adults/juveniles, in my experience). Also, I've had a few mysterious molting deaths that I'm pretty sure happened because the molting whip spider was disturbed by a cage mate, causing it to fall before the new exoskeleton had hardened completely. What I found each time was a totally intact molt - and an equally intact (but dead and pale) whip spider on the floor underneath the cork bark. Because there were no signs of injury or damage, I do not believe cannibalism was involved. I suspect that the cage mate just happened to wander by at the wrong time, touching or otherwise startling the molting whip spider, causing it to fall.

As far as housing goes, they need some sort of substrate that will hold moisture, but also need good ventilation so the cage does not get stuffy or moldy. They also need a rough-textured vertical/diagonal surface (like a big slab of angled cork bark) to hang from when they molt. There should be adequate clear space below the cork for them to fully extend their legs and whips.

They also like having a dark crevice to hide in during the daytime. I loosely stack two cork slabs together, letting them hide in between the slabs, and also sometimes offer cork rounds. I have one male who loves his cork round, but most of the others prefer the gap between the cork slabs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnoprince Active Member

i would separate them since they;re msot likely wild caught and most importantly, keep them wet. Flooding the substrate helps and always make sure that it's humid enough so that there's condensation 24/7 . If you ever see one near the floor or sitting on the bottom of the enclosure, bring up the humidity as much as possible. Tah's really the only most important thing for these guys, keep them extremely wet in order to allow them to survive.

4. aphono

aphono Arachnobaron

These probably are wild caught imports. The reason for mentioning this is IME most of them are stressed- particularly dehydration stress, although yours seem to be in reasonably good condition. My advise would be making the whole enclosure much wetter and humid to help them recover fully and quicker. Flooding the substrate plus misting until there's condensation. Keep it that way for several weeks for recovery reasons. If that becomes a challenge, reduce ventilation to hold in the humidity better.

Post full recovery they're "hardier" and can tolerate less humid conditions than described above but they will need high humidity to thrive. You'll get the hang of it by watching their behavior- staying off the substrate vs sitting on the substrate(bad).

IME the males are intolerant of each other. Females can tolerate each other but the molt associated losses mentioned by @chanda might be an issue. I've kept females together for a while with no apparent issues but in the end I decided to separate all of them, just in case & have the room to do so. However I would be open to trying a harem setup of a single male and multiple females in the future and see how that goes in the long term. I've kept a pair together until the female's babies were at point of hatching out, purely as a precaution. They seemed to be okay together during that period of time although it seemed the female occasionally tried to stay away from the male as far as she could.

They are best sexed ventrally by presence of red hairs on female genital opening also by the pattern on the genital operculum. Presence/absence of the red hairs are the least ambiguous feature though.

5. Crush23

Crush23 Arachnopeon

Wi
    Thanks for the replies....
    I was going for the male/female pair setup but was convinced into the harem 1 Male to two Female setup. I don't know the sexes yet. I thought you could tell from the pedipalps? I give ventral a try. Everything I read to start sounded promising but the more I read is it's good until it's not like Chanda said. All problems seemed to be molting problems. There was a post about someone who has kept 5 together for 3 years no problems.
    As far as health and behavior.... I bought 3 and they came pretty well off: A small, medium and large. The large lost a foot in the container and was pretty tangled in moss. They all spent a little time on wet moss and I saw two of them eat. They group up and split up after a couple of hours. The smallest will trade who it goes with but they all wander a lot once it gets dark. I haven't seen any aggressive behaviour yet. They have spent a good chunk of the time in a pile. They have only been on the substrate for small periods getting from A to B or checking out the plants.

6. aphono

aphono Arachnobaron

As for pedipalps- the difference is there, it's more as in it's not super reliable nor as extreme as in other species. Female medius with pedipalps extending past the leg joint are not uncommon. Red hairs on females is considered very reliable.

Hard to judge what exactly shades of color they are at from the pictures but if you notice they seem to be developing lighter brown & tan colorations it's a good thing.

Glad yours seem to be off on a good start- nice looking enclosure btw!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crush23

Crush23 Arachnopeon

Wi
    This one was out and about during the day for a bit.

And thanks.... I'm very happy the enclosure turned out so well. It only took me a week or so to throw together.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.