• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Damon diadema

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Successful.

The pair of Damon diadema was purchased in late Sept. or early Oct. 2010. They were housed in a 10 gal. with a screen cover that was mostly covered to retain humidity. The cage was decorated with cork bark. Peat used as substrate, and a water dish was included. Temp was 75-78 F. Humidity was not measured, but the cage was misted every couple days.
Mating was not observed, but spermatophores were noticed several times, usually attached to the top. Male appeared to be trying to entice her on several occaisions.

Nov. 1, 2010. The female has been acting strange. Alone, unusual location, and not moving for a couple days. There were uneaten prey items as well. Usually everything is eaten.

Nov. 5, 2010.The female was seen to be carrying eggs. She was left in with the male until he was rehoused on Dec.9. She was moved to a new vertical 10 gallon enclosure on Dec. 24.The female was spending a good deal of time holding her body far from the surface she was resting on. This was observed more as time went on.

Feb. 19, 2011. The female began holding her prosoma to the bark surface, with the opisthosoma in the air. That evening the very rear of the sac appeared swollen, and there was some lighter color.

Feb. 20, 2011. The sac is very swollen at the rear. After lights out it appeared to be dropping away from her body. Looking huge, and much lighter in color. Apparently opening to release the young.

Feb. 21, 2011. Babies are hatched. Huge mass on the females back. Estimating 35-40.

Mar. 3, 2011 First molts are taking place.

Mar. 4, 2011 Molting complete. The molts are still attached to female.

Molted to second instar.

Photo here:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=202667

Attachments

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry it's so late.

Update:
Mar. 7(?) , 2011 Young separated into 32 oz. deli cups. Groups of 5, and singles.
41 total, but 2 did not survive.
Female ate the molts. Fed heavily immediately, and was seen drinking from water
dish on several occaisions.

Apr. 2, 2011 Young are feeding on small crickets and flightless D. hydei. Only one unexplained
loss, not cannibalism though.
Female was returned to enclosure with male.

And another successful breeding.

Brood #2

My observations and record keeping have been admittedly lax since the first brood.

Approx. Mar. 14, 2011 I placed the female back in with the male.
Jun. 30, 2011 Female is carrying eggs. Appear to be recently laid.
Sep. 29, 2011 First instar young ( 40 plus) on female.

I did not separate female and male this time around. I kept meaning to, but it never happened.

Oct. 9, 2011 Young molted to 2i.