damon diadema questions.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
before you tell me to search, trust me I did.

I couldnt find out this questions.

how can you tell when they are mature and can be bred? Also how long does this take to raise these from 2nd instar to adult hood.

and lastly, like scorpions do they have a set number of molts?

I tried to find these answers but couldnt.

Thanks

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
1. You can tell when they are adult when they show sexual dimorphism, males in this species have enlongated pedipalps. You can breed them from that moment;
2. whip spiders molt all throughout their lives and have no final molt.
3. I don't know exactly how long it takes from birth to adulthood, but I suspect between 1,5-2,5 years

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks! Now one more question if you dont mind.

Can you sex them before maturity? If so how?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer

That would be possible when you would anaestisize the specimen, and gently lift the genital operculum, look under the microscope, then you can see either female gonopods or the male reproduction organ. If you want to know how to anaestize, check earlier threads, if you want to know how these reproduction organs look, google the images.

Easier to just wait untill they are adult....

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
most (all?) Damon spp. shows a "red hairy structure" around the genital operculum in females.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for all the answers. I really appreciate it. I just wish there was more info out there for them. So far the best I have found has been on venomlist.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for all the answers. I really appreciate it. I just wish there was more info out there for them. So far the best I have found has been on venomlist.

I''l take that as a comliment :D

Cheers, Michiel

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +

Actually Damon diadema can be sexed easily at 2nd instar (some whipspider species are hard to sex at maturity). There are ventral abdominal figures in this guide.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I didn't meant that, like asking for acknowledgement...I learned most I know from Michael Seiter and from book/ papers. "I" am not the Venomlist ;);)

Ryan Reynolds

Arachnopeon
I'd be kind of surprised if anyone answers this given the time gap lol. I recently ordered this tailless whip scorpion, who is about a year old, and am wondering if it is too young to sex, or if it is a female.

Attachments

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd be kind of surprised if anyone answers this given the time gap lol. I recently ordered this tailless whip scorpion, who is about a year old, and am wondering if it is too young to sex, or if it is a female.
I'd say it's too young and there isn't a photo of the structures we'd need, but others may be able to weigh in and sex it for you.