Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
cool

those are awesome steve! talk about alein looking--Jeff

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No.. but they can trick you by acting really slooooooow then they bolt on you into the first crack they find.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think I just might get some tailless variety soon. What size enclosure do you keep D. diadema in, Steve055? I have seen posts for D. varigatus (spelling?) all over the net, but not much info on diadema. Who sells this species in the trade?

adios,
edw. :D Thanks!

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi XOskeletonRED,
I have one that I keep in a 10 gallon aquarium. I use it since it has the long sensory legs on it and I wanted it to have plenty of room to roam around. I tell you they are just so cool. It's always a treat at feeding time to watch it eat. If you don't have one you definately need one:)

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Oh Boy

I wish I didn't see these pics! Awesome creature....this has caused by budget to increase.

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ambling-pigeons are very cool. :) I'm not even really sure which species mine is, I think it may be D. variegatus?

Rav

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well its a male, and a think it is the same SP. as mine, Damon diadema. From what i have been told most that have been imported are. Alex can explain better.

Last edited:

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry to the posts above, i just noticed them. She is kept in, i think, a 22 gallon rubbermaid type container w/ lid. The lid a has several holes drilled in it. Substarit is just peat. I have a large rock in the center and some bark leaned against it. I use an under the tank human heating pad on med. This heats up the rock very nice. In this way she can self regulate better. Open air temp is about 75. rock surface about 85-90.

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok... how did you come up with the determination of male? :)

I know few are imported, because they're not exactly huge in the pet trade... so it stands to figure they'd be mostly the same species.

Rav

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
actually...

Think you got that backwards. Males have the longer palps and a smaller abdomen where females have shorter pals and a larger abdomen. Got this info from someone who has bred them so he must know which was female unless he had a tranny male. :)

Phil

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just went and did some checking, Phillip is correct. Females have shorter palps, and the males have longer palps which are more intricately spined.

Rav

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry about that, somewhere along the line i got them backwards.

Emanuele

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Damon males

I don't agree with you Steve, males normally have longer palpi than females. The species of the picture of you and Ravnos are not a Damon diadema, this last species have very long palpi. Maybe yours is a Damon johnstoni and that of Ravnos could be a parent of Phrynichus or something similar to a Damon variegatus (but it's not in my opinion a variegatus...).
Regards
Emanuele

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
tailess

Yes, males have longer pedipalps than females. In larger species such as Heterophrynus batesii, males have pedipals that can reach 8 inches in length, while females have 6 inch pedipalps.

N-Joy
Art