Damon diadema observed sexual maturity rate

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 6 Damon diadema (all assumed to be from the same brood) that I have had living together for 5 months, they do seem to do "threat displays" or defensive behavior tward each other from time to time,but for the most part behave well tward each other. They vary a great deal in size and seem to be able to hide somewhat after molts, as the tank is littered with shed carapaces.
Could someone tell me how long before the males will molt so that their arms are longer than their forelegs so that I may tell the sexes simply by looking at them?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can't answer you question, because I never kept this species (or any other Amblypygids), but I just want to advise you to take out the exuvia (shed skin) as soon as you see one. Possible parasites, if there are any on your specimens, like mites, will stay in de exuvia, so when you remove these fast, the mites don't have the time to move from the old exuvia to the just molted animal.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
You can tell the sex of baby Damon with certainty simply by looking at them, not the palps. I've got some drawings in the whipscorpion/whipspider book. Maturity times vary greatly by husbandry but I'd give yours a year or two for what you're asking.

I can show you a cage with very healthy 9th instars and hundreds of exuvia on the floor.