Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Damon diadema and medius comparison

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by JohnDapiaoen, Jun 20, 2018.

1. DrNormalman

DrNormalman Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Thank you, Im going to try to breed and I didnt know the exact species, i think its a male but not 100% sure

2. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnoangel Active Member

It looks to be a male, but I’ll wait for someone else to say something.

3. aphono

aphono Arachnobaron Active Member

Agree it's a medius. Appears to be healthy, non stressed specimen. Could have been captive bred or been in captivity with proper care for a long time already.

Sexing by pedipalp size is not reliable for this species. Female pedipalps extending past the leg joint isn't so rare. Ventral sexing is more reliable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mantisfan101

Pedipalp sexing still works but it’s not as blatantly obvious like diadema. It’s better if you have both a male and female and compare the 2.

5. DrNormalman

DrNormalman Arachnopeon

I cant do the ventral sexing right now, looking closely looks like a male, but i have a picture of the last molting and to me looks female

Attached Files:

6. mantisfan101

It looks like a male. My female’s vents seen less smooth and a bit more pinched, but then again I could be wrong.

7. DrNormalman

DrNormalman Arachnopeon

Full ventral pic

Attached Files:

8. wizentrop

wizentrop to the rescue! Old Timer

That is no male...

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. DrNormalman

DrNormalman Arachnopeon

So how it is a male?

10. wizentrop

wizentrop to the rescue! Old Timer

It's not. Regardless of the genital operculum's shape, if you see a patch of red hairs on the underside of a Phrynichid abdomen, it means it's a female.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.