Damon diadema and B. dubia

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was at the LPS and they had a couple left. We got them out and it turned out to be a pair. I had a bunch of credit to burn, so they came home with me.
They are awesome to look at, but to observe them feeding is incredible!

I fed crickets on the second night, which were eaten eagerly. The next day I found a freshly molted B. dubia nymph. I put it on the cork bark but it soon hit the substrate. About an hour later my female was on the substrate. That is a first, and I suspect she may have eaten it, as it was nowhere to be found.

I hope to get them eating roaches. I will try freshly molted at first, with crickets as well. I will update here as things progress. If they do not convert, I guess I am back in the cricket business. Totally worth it. Probably the coolest animals I have ever kept.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have and do feed mine small 1cm, and up to 3/4 of an inch hissers, they love them and seem to only have a small problem chasing them around till they're skewered and munched upon.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been adding any small, freshly molted B.dubia I find. Also feeding crickets. So far only one B.dubia has been seen burrowing, so they are likely being eaten.

Today there was a spermatophore on the top of the cage. Hoping for the best.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, just an update.
I started finding roaches uneaten. Even the crickets were lasting longer than they should.
The female was acting strange last week. Alone, unusual location, and not moving for a couple days. Then she started moving again, and I noticed eggs. I guess I'll hold off on the roaches for a while. After she starts eating again, I will try them once more.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, the B. dubia are definately not the food of choice for mine. After having babies the female eagerly took them, but now I find live roaches every time I am in the enclosure. They will take the occaisional individual, but are primarily eating crickets. I guess I try B. lateralis next. One positive note, the female is gravid again.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have and do feed mine small 1cm, and up to 3/4 of an inch hissers, they love them and seem to only have a small problem chasing them around till they're skewered and munched upon.
I do seem to be getting decent results by feeding hissers. Crickets are still best, but hissers do get eaten much more readily than the B. dubia.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Thanks for the reminder...I always have too many & this is a perfect way to keep numbers down.