Damn

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Something went seriously wrong with my S. subspinipes. Not sure what happened, but a bunch of it's legs on the right hand side broke. I should have taken a picture, but it just didn't want to get in a position where I could. Doesn't look like leg rot to me as they're "cracked" in the middle of the leg. Happened to about five of them, all in various places. Nothing seems to be leaking, but the open ends of the breaks are all black. Could be from peat sticking to it, but I'm not quite sure. Anyone ever hear of this before?

Scott

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Scott,
That is weird. I did notice, about two days ago, that a Scolo. sub. dehanni has one leg that is "broken" in the manner you described. All the others appear fine. May I ask, what you are keeping it in?
john

subsniper

Arachnopeon
Exactly the same thing happened to the legs of my Wind Scorpion (Sun Spider). It almost seemed like some form of cancer or something. The ends of his legs broke off and turned black as if there were slightly burned. I had him for about a year, and shortly after this happened, he killed himself.

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Could this possibly be from a bad molting problem? Maybe the "skin" around the legs is not shedding off completely and making little "touriquets" around the joints of the limbs causing loss of "blood" flow and the limb eventually dieing and falling off. I've heard of it in taratulas and I've actually seen it happen to the toes of lizards.....so maybe it can happen to pedes as well. No idea what you'd be able to do about it, but maybe this is at least the cause.