Damn you, usps

Status
Not open for further replies.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ups lost a chameleon cage i sent...was in a box 4 foot tall by 2 foot wide, and a few inches thick....impossible

Bengal21

Arachnopeon
ups lost a chameleon cage i sent...was in a box 4 foot tall by 2 foot wide, and a few inches thick....impossible

Look at the square footage of all of UPS's Distribution Centers / Airports then tell me it's impossible. Their big airport in Louisville alone is bigger than a lot of cities. 4 foot box to you, needle in the haystack to them.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yea i get it, but if i was to do something like that at my workplace...then i would be found in a ditch somewhere....

Look at the square footage of all of UPS's Distribution Centers / Airports then tell me it's impossible. Their big airport in Louisville alone is bigger than a lot of cities. 4 foot box to you, needle in the haystack to them.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sheesh this thread got out of hand for awhile there. Nobody has really answered my question as to why some sellers on here advertise using usps express shipping?I would never send out my T's using because I keep getting told it is illegal, but is there some sort of special license that allows you to use them? I am just confused by that whole matter.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im gonna reffer to the Steroid stupidity to set a couple of things straight:

I dont use steroids, I never did and probably never will. If anyone wants to insinuate something regarding this matter, please , dont open your mouth and acuse ,put a little wage on it and Pay for a full blown blood/uring test, and I will do it very gladly.
If you are not gonna do that, then better shut up about it.

That said, whether I use steroids or not has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS SITE and with the hobby. HOWEVER, this site is a huge target for the goverment. There have been many cases of people getting caught shipping ilegaly already, on top of that we recently just had a big case of Tarantula smuggling and that investigation is still on going.

For someone to advertize in this site their personal hate towards the USPS because their ILEGAL shipment didnt make it on time, is asking for even more attention and more problems for US ALL.

So, my suposedly steroid use doesnt damage the hobby neither the site IN ANY WAY, but this guys stupid signature potentially does.

Last edited:

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im gonna reffer to the Steroid stupidity to let a couple of things straight:

I dont use steroids, I never did and probably never will. If anyone wants to insinuate something regarding this matter, please , dont open your mouth and acuse ,put a little wage on it and Pay for a full blown blood/uring test, and I will do it very gladly.
If you are not gonna do that, then better shut up about it.

That said, whether I use steroids or not has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS SITE and with the hobby. HOWEVER, this site is a huge target for the goverment. There have been many cases of people getting caught shipping ilegaly already, on top of that we recently just had a big case of Tarantula smuggling and that investigation is still on going.

For someone to advertize in this site their personal hate towards the USPS because their ILEGAL shipment didnt make it on time, is asking for even more attention and more problems for US ALL.

So, my suposedly steroid use doesnt damage the hobby neither the site IN ANY WAY, but this guys stupid signature potentially does.
Valid argument. All these recent posts have made me do some research, and everything I have now read confirms that it does violate usps's policies regarding what you CAN and CANNOT ship. It has made me rethink buying them AT ALL online, or at the very least making sure that they will be sent via fedex. This site has been an invaluable source of information for not only the proper care of tarantulas, but also the laws concerning them.

*Edit* Just did a little reading. Is it even legal to ship them via fedex?

Last edited:

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im gonna reffer to the Steroid stupidity to set a couple of things straight:
Fran:

I was merely using you as an example. I never said you did drugs of any kind, nor did I generalize that all power-lifters did so.

My example was on the fact that somebody said that you were held in high regard, and thus didn't do anything wrong. THAT was what my focus on.

I don't know you from Adam. I have no interest in accusing you, or anybody, of using drugs.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fran:

I was merely using you as an example. I never said you did drugs of any kind, nor did I generalize that all power-lifters did so.

My example was on the fact that somebody said that you were held in high regard, and thus didn't do anything wrong. THAT was what my focus on.

I don't know you from Adam. I have no interest in accusing you, or anybody, of using drugs.
No prob, I was reffering to the OP ;).

Wink

Arachnopeon
Valid argument. All these recent posts have made me do some research, and everything I have now read confirms that it does violate usps's policies regarding what you CAN and CANNOT ship. It has made me rethink buying them AT ALL online, or at the very least making sure that they will be sent via fedex. This site has been an invaluable source of information for not only the proper care of tarantulas, but also the laws concerning them.

*Edit* Just did a little reading. Is it even legal to ship them via fedex?
from what ive been told, UPS has no problem shipping T's at all. like i said in another post, my buddy knows a head honcho at UPS and he said that they do not consider T's as venomous and you can ship as many as you want as long as it doesnt exceed 150 lbs per box

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Please find, and quote, any post by which I have generalized that power-lifters use any form of performance enhancing drugs.
My apologies, I took your post the wrong way. At first read it seemed like you were backing the OP. I just hate when people throw around generalizations, especially toward people they do not know. I am not as defined as Fran, but I too enjoy power-lifting, and the comment from the OP just hit me the wrong way.

Back on topic, although UPS has decent ground shipping, their overnight isn't all they hype it up to be. One to many times have they been late, and not even during holiday seasons. I would be worried to send any live animal via UPS. Just me though.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fed-Ex is the only "possible" way to do it legally, since theres a somewhat blurry area on live animal shipping.

UPS,USPS...Ilegal.

Also, I have found this site: www.shipyourreptiles.com

But who knows if thats even Legal.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, if Fed Ex decides to join the flock, we will have to use our best MPG vehicle, grab our shipping box and drive many miles to get our tarantulas. I really do not understand their take on the arachnid ban, I understand deadly specimens,but tarantulas?

Sigh

xchondrox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
shipyourreptiles - was using UPS as the delivery service. It was a good deal they had worked out with UPS only problem was SYR took your word that you were sending non venomous reptiles. So eventually some dumb asses started shipping Hot snakes via SYR. Well some how that was discovered and UPS ended their shipping abilities. Last i looked at there site they said they were trying to work something out so they could continue biz.

Fed-EX - requires you go thru a shipping verification process. You have to send in your 'box' with conents packed just like you would a reptile/arachnid to their testing facility. They then smash and dismantle your 'box', a while later you'll get a waiver of responsibility in the mail from their legal team, you sign that waiving fed-ex of responsibility of death/injury to conents send it in then get a verification your 'live animal' account is set-up. That is the process i whent thru with Fed-Ex 6+yrs ago Im sure it is still the same. There are threads on faunaclassifieds with links to get you started in the process. As for the 30-40$ cost, thats if the shipper meets bulk shipping requirements or if you account has been established a long time. If your a new guy shipping 20 or so packages a year look at spending 50-70 for overnight for the first year or two.

Tremors

Arachnopeon
Sheesh this thread got out of hand for awhile there.
I agree!

I've had the USPS send things all over the place before it got to me. It's that whole efficiency thing and using hubs. My last package went from northern California past my destination and then another two hundred miles south down to a hub in Santa Clarita before making it's way back the same 200 miles up to me. It's really ridiculous when you think about it. I work in SoCal but have my animals sent to my families home further North where someone will be waiting for the package.

I just thought of something. You always hear about Tarantulas that somehow manage to crawl into a box full of bananas out in the jungle and then that box is sealed, driven into town, taken to the shipping dock where it can stay in the blazing heat all day, loaded aboard the ship and it stays in the cargo hold for weeks and somehow manages to pop out from a bunch of bananas in the grocery store scaring someone's meemaw to death.

Arachnids are pretty tough but extreme weather and roughing up a package is tough on them.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm so confused. How exactly do most people ship them then if it is illegal or against the company's regulations?

Tremors

Arachnopeon
I'm so confused. How exactly do most people ship them then if it is illegal or against the company's regulations?
It's sort of like "Don't ask, don't tell." USPS, UPS, FEDEX, all know there are laws and regulations against it but they knowingly violate their own laws and regulations.

And "Why?", you may ask. Money! Revenue.

I've been buying all sorts of exotic animals through the mail and private carriers for the last twenty years. If the government had wanted to put the kabosh on sending exotic animals through the post they would have done it years ago.

For crying out loud. The United States Postal Service sends boxes of baby chicks and ducks through the mail. Imagine the potential danger of Avian flu. But they still do it.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This thread has really helped me learn how to ship tarantulas. I still have tons of questions but I am understanding better.

Status
Not open for further replies.