Damn you, usps

Status
Not open for further replies.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It all depends on which breeder you deal with if it's Ts you're looking for. You have to have an account with them to create shipping labels to get the package picked up, and different breeders can charge different shipping fees based on how much money they want to make off the shipment after recouping the fee FedEx charged them. $30-$40 for overnight, guaranteed live arrival is usually par for the course from what I've seen.

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
It all depends on which breeder you deal with if it's Ts you're looking for. You have to have an account with them to create shipping labels to get the package picked up, and different breeders can charge different shipping fees based on how much money they want to make off the shipment after recouping the fee FedEx charged them. $30-$40 for overnight, guaranteed live arrival is usually par for the course from what I've seen.

But I think that $30-$40 is if u have an account with them. I tried to use fedex in one of my shipment before but they quoted me $70 for it... Or mayba the fedex guy just wants to overcharge me?...

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
But I think that $30-$40 is if u have an account with them. I tried to use fedex in one of my shipment before but they quoted me $70 for it... Or mayba the fedex guy just wants to overcharge me?...
No, they definitely want you to have an account with them. The $30-$40 I said was what the customer can expect to pay to an online breeder for overnight shipping, not what someone shipping a T would pay to FedEx. Obviously it doesn't make any sense to open an account with them if you don't really have much of a shipping volume, so people who ship very few Ts will more often than not pay more to ship.

AlexRC

Arachnopeon
Can't say too much about shipping rates and all that other fancy stuff, but I sure do hope those T's arrive very alive.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah USPS SUCKS. I had a shipment (not tarantulas) that was guaranteed by 3, and it arrived at like 5:30. I took off work to sign for it so I was livid. As for shipping T's via usps, why is it that so many people on here advertise that they ship them via USPS if it is indeed illegal? I would think that it would open up a world of problems for them.

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LMAO. Beat me to that one, super!!

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

So are steroids, Fran. Don't ask-don't tell. :D
Your comments are quite dumb, buddy.

Lucy13

Arachnopeon
My T.aphophysis came via FedEx they left it on the porch in the snow without knocking or being signed for! I was livid! I know it was out there for no more than hour but still. My T was unharmed and healthy got lucky on that one.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My T.aphophysis came via FedEx they left it on the porch in the snow without knocking or being signed for! I was livid! I know it was out there for no more than hour but still. My T was unharmed and healthy got lucky on that one.
That's not FedEx's fault, it's the fault of the shipper for not attaching a signature requirement to the package. If there's no stipulation requiring a signature upon receipt, then FedEx has no choice but to leave it there.

Lucy13

Arachnopeon
That's not FedEx's fault, it's the fault of the shipper for not attaching a signature requirement to the package. If there's no stipulation requiring a signature upon receipt, then FedEx has no choice but to leave it there.
Very true even though he stated all packages are sig. required when shipped. A mistake on his part.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Heh,listen to THIS one...Shipped some stuff to N.cal,and it went from Az to OHIO first,THEN to Cali.This all occurred OVER a holiday as well,so figure in 2-3 extra days in transit on top of what was expected..Where is the sense in that,when I could have DRIVEN the package to the buyer in 8 hrs?We have no choice but to bite the bullet and deal with it.
That is probably the reason it was sent to the Ohio hub, usually during holiday seasons local hubs for overnight packages are swamped, so they route the packages to a hub that will have a outgoing flight within the time frame. The problem is not with the shipper, its the persons who procrastinate to the last minute to send something during a holiday. There is a reason they give warnings around holidays that packages may experience some delays. If they didn't ship it to Ohio, it may of been an extra 4 to 5 days instead. ;)

+1

I deal with tons of mail order items, usually they are delivered via UPS, or FedEX, and I have never ran into an instance where the shipper required a signature, and the companies failed to request it before delivery. If I am not present, they always leave a message taped to my door that I missed the delivery and they will attempt a redeliver at blah blah, the next day.

I'm not saying that it doesn't or cant happen, just stating it has never happen to me in the 10+ years of ordering items via online.

So are steroids, Fran. Don't ask-don't tell.
Generalize much? :rolleyes:

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So are steroids, Fran. Don't ask-don't tell. :D[/QUOTE]

yea but you just posted on the largest public arachnid forum that you are doing illegal shipping. Since there has been issues with illegal shipping before what makes you think there isn't people watching this site for idiots like you posting there illegal activities. DUMB!
Second Fran is one of the more knoweledgbale and easie to get along with guys on here. I think everyone will agree with me when I say he deserves alot of respect. Especially from someone who's only been on this site for a month.

Matt

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I refuse to use Fed EX. screw those sneaky ninja bastages! I ordered a few Ts from someone on here(quite expensive Ts) paid the 40 bucks for overnight, they were a day late, (the first time) and left the package in my car when it was 100F+ outside! not sure why he put it in my car but screw him. all 5 Ts were dead.never knocked or nothing. that was signature required.

the second time, I was taking in a breeding loan, and the fed ex dude left it on my door step in the ice, and this was signature required. T lived but not my type of business.

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Second Fran is one of the more knoweledgbale and easie to get along with guys on here. I think everyone will agree with me when I say he deserves alot of respect.
Now keep in mind I have nothing against Fran. I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

Priests are usually held in high regard from the community. Then when evidence comes forward that they've been diddling little kids, the congregation may not necassarily believe it.

I've always been of the opinion that just because somebody holds respect from X number of people, or they went and earned XYZ credentials, that they be disregarded from criminal accusations and investigations. How many "highly regarded" people are still walking the street because a court witness was a college dropout (as in, no credentials), or any similar number of similar scenarios?

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Now keep in mind I have nothing against Fran. I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

Priests are usually held in high regard from the community. Then when evidence comes forward that they've been diddling little kids, the congregation may not necassarily believe it.

I've always been of the opinion that just because somebody holds respect from X number of people, or they went and earned XYZ credentials, that they be disregarded from criminal accusations and investigations. How many "highly regarded" people are still walking the street because a court witness was a college dropout (as in, no credentials), or any similar number of similar scenarios?
Yes, but that's whats wrong in society today, everyone wants to generalize!!

Basically what you are stating is the definition of generalization.Some power lifters use enhancement drugs, Fran is a power lifter who dedicated his life to his body, therefor by your definition Fran must be a steroid user?

Whatever! The point others are making about the comment is the fact it was unnecessary, and rather childish. Nothing short of poking a stick and going "nya nya". I have no clue who Fran is, other than by this forum. I have never met the guy, have no clue on what his lifestyle encompasses. But to take a jab at someone, based on a generalization, is rather uncouth.

Just my opinion, done with this thread. Have a good day.

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Basically what you are stating is the definition of generalization.Some power lifters use enhancement drugs, Fran is a power lifter who dedicated his life to his body, therefor by your definition Fran must be a steroid user?
Please find, and quote, any post by which I have generalized that power-lifters use any form of performance enhancing drugs.

Wink

Arachnopeon
i just cant believe this thread turned into accusing someone of steroids...first off, if he does use it, its his business and nobody else's (not saying you use fran)...david, look in the mirror and judge yourself before you dare judge anyone else, in all honesty i think you are probably just jealous of Fran in some way....not trying to throw gas on the fire here, just stating my 2 cents ;P

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
Wonder if some sellers do this on purpose to avoid LAG. Fed ex has turned over things with no signature, and the animals were fine. However, after reading about this, I have actually demanded to sign for it, and they will let you.

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wonder if some sellers do this on purpose to avoid LAG. Fed ex has turned over things with no signature, and the animals were fine. However, after reading about this, I have actually demanded to sign for it, and they will let you.
Considering each transaction is followed by a review, I doubt they will use this to try to get out of a LAG.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I'm not going to get into a war, and not trying to play devil's advocate in any way. I run a business, we get and send US Postal mail, UPS, FedEx, and occasionally even couriered packages.

It doesn't cost anything to get a FedEx or a UPS account. With the account, you can get pre-printed FedEx labels, they send them to you. With a UPS account you can do your labels online, or go to the hub, print them there and hand them across the desk. FedEx is now in Kinkos as well, and you can drop your packages off.

I have reason to be dis-satisfied with ALL of the carriers, for one reason or another, over many years of dealing with them.

Our regular UPS carrier is very good, and will hold a package if he sees that no one is at the office when he arrives early. The FedEx guy knows I collect Ts and will now make sure someone is there to sign for the package. We also have a note on the office door that says we *DO NOT WAIVE* signatures - we MUST sign for all packages. I've also gone so far as to call UPS and have them hold a package at the hub. The Airport hub is about 15 minutes away, and the local hub is half a mile from my house.

While they aren't open on Saturdays, it's better than having a box of Ts sitting in the snow. Now, keep in mind that most boxes that sit in the hub are in a UPS trailer - while they are out of the rain or snow, they aren't climate controlled.

So keep all of that in mind when prepping for shipping any package with any carrier, not just Tarantulas. Accounts for tracking numbers are your friend.

Marga

Status
Not open for further replies.