Damn. I overfed my sling. what do

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens, around 2.5 cm (1").

Its abdomen is twice her carpace.

I thought about not feeding it for some weeks and keeping it in a hot (28-30°C / 82-86°F) place to speed up its metabolism?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
When did it moult last? It might be in pre-moult soon, but anyways, just don´t feed it for some time. Make sure it has a full water dish.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Where are you getting your information from? Slings eat, get fat, molt, and grow. That's what they're supposed to do. I don't understand people who ration their spider's food and try to keep them on some sort of South Beach diet.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Slings eat, get fat, molt, and grow. That's what they're supposed to do. I don't understand people who ration their spider's food and try to keep them on some sort of South Beach diet.
Slings should eat as they please. Juveniles, sub-adults and adults I tend not to overfeed, especially species that has a fast growth rate. As OP is from Europe, I took the 2.5 cm to be body size, rather than DLS.

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
No, mate, its abdomen is 2x the carpace!
I'm not rationing food, but I gotta because I didn't before!
I gave it 1 cricket a little bit bigger than it, a cricket leg and a cricked as big as the T.

When did it moult last? It might be in pre-moult soon, but anyways, just don´t feed it for some time. Make sure it has a full water dish.
I don't know when the molt was, I got it 1 week ago

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I did have a quick question, my approx 3" B. Vagans is a fatty, but every time I go to give him water he acts like he's starving, lunging to attack water droplets. Is he just a good feeder? He can't be that hungry with his abdomens size, it's huge

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I did have a quick question, my approx 3" B. Vagans is a fatty, but every time I go to give him water he acts like he's starving, lunging to attack water droplets. Is he just a good feeder? He can't be that hungry with his abdomens size, it's huge
I would attribute that to good feeding response. My A. geniculata does the same thing even though she's a monstrous glutton of a fat lady.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I gave it 1 cricket a little bit bigger than it, a cricket leg and a cricked as big as the T.
No, you don't gotta ;) There is no such thing as an obese sling. There are only well-fed slings. Their entire goal in life right now is to grow as quickly as possible to get out of that fragile sling stage. There are obese juveniles and adults, but slings? No way. Here is my 1" L. difficilus, and I plan on offering a big meal tonight. It'll almost certainly take the food.

IMG_0868.JPG

When I feed this sling, it always gets roaches at least as big as itself, and often larger. Some species (GBB included) happily take down prey larger than themselves. For species that aren't so bold, I still offer massive meals to slings and simply prekill the prey.

B. vagans just have a good feeding response. At that size, yeah, you should be monitoring weight. Don't quote me on this one, but I very much doubt that tarantulas get "hungry" in the same way that mammals do. They either have a feeding response or they don't.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
My G. Pulchripes is like this too. Will literally lunge at her water dish days as I refill it lol

cold blood

Staff member
No mate, you cannot over feed a sling...its impossible...just wait for the next molt, its that simple.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

That's not a problem. Young tarantulas are vulnerable and delicate. The faster they grow the higher the odds of their survival. The lucky few that make it to maturity pass on their genes. The slow pokes aren't likely to reach adulthood. As with other animals and plants, their birth/germination is timed to be when conditions are most favorable so that the young can get a good start. Young spiders in the wild are going to eat all they can, so they don't end up being eaten by something bigger. Many insects and invertebrates eat small tarantulas, but the tables are often turned when tarantulas are adults.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
You should see what a well fed P. metallica sling looks like! Abdomen literally triple the size of the carapace, usually in length.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Comunque non esiste l' "over/power feeding". Esistono solo Theraphosidae (e quindi ragni, ragnoni, ragnacci :kiss:) che, avendo mangiato un po' troppo, devono stare a dieta, in attesa della muta, per poi ricominciare.

Un ragno non mangerà mai oltre il suo limite :) Questa cosa, questa terminologia errata... è nata e si è diffusa in seno a certi allevatori, perché, per il mero scopo di avere, e il più in fretta possibile, esemplari adulti da piazzare e/o da far riprodurre, schiacciavano un filino l'acceleratore di "cibo e temperature ottimali".

Poi è logico, è facile avere una 'GBB' grassoccia, mangiano come lupi. Tutto normale :-s

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Where are you getting your information from? Slings eat, get fat, molt, and grow. That's what they're supposed to do. I don't understand people who ration their spider's food and try to keep them on some sort of South Beach diet.
Nail on the head!!!!!
My motto is a fat sling is a happy sling. End of story

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I won't say much because it has been covered well but my 4i G Pulchra sling is coined "baby fat butt" for a reason she is a plump grape with legs.