Damaged my new terrarium

Fhrnht

Arachnopeon
Hi, while doing airholes in my new tank i failed and there is a big crack in it and i believe i should throw it away but i wanted your opinion first...

We can't see very well in the picture but it goes down to the tip of my thumb. It's hard plastic so i can't "open" it when i push so i guess a tarantula couldn't either but i don't wan't to do anything stupid. Maybe glue could fix it ?

It's hard to find a good box to make it into a terrarium where i live...

Attachments

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Hi, while doing airholes in my new tank i failed and there is a big crack in it and i believe i should throw it away but i wanted your opinion first...

We can't see very well in the picture but it goes down to the tip of my thumb. It's hard plastic so i can't "open" it when i push so i guess a tarantula couldn't either but i don't wan't to do anything stupid. Maybe glue could fix it ?

It's hard to find a good box to make it into a terrarium where i live...
It should be fine, just try to be delicate around it. Sometime when I use brittle boxes I don’t push on the drill at all, I just hold it upside down so the weight of the drill and the heat of the bit is all that’s pushing it through. You can avoid cracks that way, even though it may take longer.

You could also use a bore bit for your drill, it helps disperse weight as you’re drilling.

For the crack, you can put some hot glue on it if you think it’s a risk. I would personally, just a small amount so it doesn’t stand out like crazy. That’s up to your judgement though. I have a couple homemade enclosures that I accidentally cracked. No big deal.

Fhrnht

Arachnopeon
Ok thank you. :)

And i don't have a drill, i did everything with a pair of scissors and trust me it was some work 😅

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Ok thank you. :)

And i don't have a drill, i did everything with a pair of scissors and trust me it was some work 😅
Dang. That’s dedication. You’ll just have to be delicate then. I’d recommend trying to get a cheap drill. You can pick up a store brand one pretty cheap. It’ll be a lifesaver for you.

Hi
get yourself small soldering iron.It is easier to melt holes than cut them with scissors
Just make sure when you do room is ventilated
Regards Konstantin

Fhrnht

Arachnopeon
I know, my father has one that i can borrow but i was just being impatient as always 🙄

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Next time, try putting masking tape over the area and then make the hole through that. It tends to make the edges neater and reduces cracking (for drilling/poking holes only... not if you're melting them).

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Screwdrivers and screws are also better than scissors to make holes without a drill.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I actually don't bother with a drill most of the time when it comes to plastic enclosures. Get a BBQ skewer, heat it on the stove (if you've got a gas stove, of course), and just melt the holes. Goes way faster than drilling and doesn't leave sharp edges.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I actually don't bother with a drill most of the time when it comes to plastic enclosures. Get a BBQ skewer, heat it on the stove (if you've got a gas stove, of course), and just melt the holes. Goes way faster than drilling and doesn't leave sharp edges.
Yeah this and or using a soldering iron. Both are easier than scissors. I started using a dremel though with a small drill bit, much easier than an actual drill, but not as fast as melting holes in.