D. MEDIUS - Information on wild habitat?

MissMonstera

Arachnopeon
I would like to make an appropriate cage for a trio, but I can only see that they "are from this or that part of Africa." What should I make for these guys? A cave cage? An under growth cage? Something arboreal or long?

Thanks for your help.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
usually, or at least in Gabon where I saw them, they live on trees, under barks etc. but for sure they will also inhabit larger caves. I can't image that the thousands of WC animals are just caught out in the forest, this is a ridiculous work. Thus I THINK that they live in caves as well. Some publications tell also gardens of xyz.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Since almost all of them are gonna be wc specimens, your main concern should be to get them past at least 1 molt so give them a lot of humidity/moisture. I would also separate them unless you plan on breeding them, but give them lots of hiding spaces.

basin79

ArachnoGod
When I had a read the thing that cropped up over and over again was really humid conditions. Condensation on the lid humid. So that's what I did and still do. Had my lass just over 8 months and she recently moulted for the first time in my care.

431C4532-A796-4893-AE99-CD52B0612FEC.jpeg C0D3D744-24DC-47DA-805B-95847C4B13E8.jpeg 12CB9851-8BE9-463F-AEBE-D736D0B0DFE4.jpeg

MissMonstera

Arachnopeon
Since almost all of them are gonna be wc specimens, your main concern should be to get them past at least 1 molt so give them a lot of humidity/moisture. I would also separate them unless you plan on breeding them, but give them lots of hiding spaces.
I am currently starting with one, who I am keeping in the 95%+ area for humidity. He (or she) was damaged in transport and has lost his whips, but we have come to a regularly scheduled feeding routine and he is eating like a champ. I will see how he is after he molts, but so far all signs point to positive. :) I just am not entirely sure if I should make a root system for him or a cave with stalactites.

Pic of him on the dry side of his enclosure for once included.

Attachments

MissMonstera

Arachnopeon
She is beautiful! We do keep him in such conditions. He has a tiny spot that remains dry currently that he visits once or twice a night, but mostly he has enjoyed a Terra cotta pot most of all. Cork bark all around but he loves sitting along one side of the pot.

We do use a hygrometer to keep him over 95% humidity. :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
She is beautiful! We do keep him in such conditions. He has a tiny spot that remains dry currently that he visits once or twice a night, but mostly he has enjoyed a Terra cotta pot most of all. Cork bark all around but he loves sitting along one side of the pot.

We do use a hygrometer to keep him over 95% humidity. :)
A hygrometer is pretty much useless. Just make sure the substrate is really damp and you're laughing. Tyrant stays behind her cork bark during the day but will move vertically.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Congrats on your new pet! :)

I do agree with the above- go more with the behavior. Spending time on the substrate- especially 'curled up' is an indication the humidity is far too low. This species needs high humidity to thrive. The hygrometer might be reading 95% or so however sitting/spending time on the substrate is it saying otherwise.

Coupled with it being WC and probably recent-ish import, it's likely to be experiencing dehydration stress. Flooding the substrate until it's quite damp/wet(fine if it accidentally gets standing water) and misting everything in there hard will help it recover much faster. Keep it like that for a couple weeks or so. The point is to help it recover fast and after a period of this treatment you can ease up on that but continue to check it's not sitting on or face down to the substrate.

Since it is missing both whips, would suggest a more simple set up rather than a complicated one so it will have an easier time detecting and catching prey until after it molts and regrows the whips.

MissMonstera

Arachnopeon
Thank you. I will add more humidity!

So far he doesn't eat unless he is tong fed. Perhaps whips will change his mind but I give him pre-killed food he takes down without hesitation. Thank you!

aphono

Arachnobaron
However you get it to eat is good. The whips are their main sensory devices so it's at some disadvantage as for sensing and capturing prey- they still can but it helps if there's not much things in their way. Hence the suggestion for a simpler setup earlier.

It's normal if it doesn't want to eat for a week or a couple weeks. So if that happens and the abdomen is plump, it is no worry. Could be simply that or entering premolt.

I cannot stress enough keeping the humidity sky high & staying on/near the substrate= mist hard, pour water in substrate. Even if you think it looks okay despite that behavior.