D.fasciatus or D.pentaloris? Differences between the spp.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I bought a D.fasciatus last summer when its name was being changed from C.fasciatum to its current one. I was looking up another spp. called D.pentaloris and noticed mine looked just like it.

As I understand they are two distinctive species and come from different regions Costa Rica (D.fasciatus)and Mexico/Guatemala (D.pentaloris).
They look very similar to me, and I don't know if there is a size difference between the two. If anyone could shed some light on this and give me their opinion on what my specimen is it would be appreciated, I do believe it is the D.fasciatus.

Attachments

user 666

Arachnobaron
Yes, please, could someone explain the relevant details about the tiger rump species (plural)?

I just bought what I was told was a C pentalore, but I don't know if that's the correct name. There's a welter of information online which conflates pentalore, pentaloris, fasciatus, etc.

Mine does not look anything like the above photo, if you're interested.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
The easiest way to tell Davus fasciatus from Davus pentaloris is the color of the carapace. D. fasciatus has a dark carapace and D. pentaloris a light color. Most tarantulas sold in the hobby are D. pentaloris. This isn't a matter of nomenclature changes, but how the species was always misidentified in the hobby. Read the paper referenced below for an identification guide to the species of Davus. That will clear up what species you actually have in your collections.

Reference
Gabriel, R. (2016). Revised taxonomic placement of the species in the Central American genera Davus O. Pickard-Cambridge, 1892, Metriopelma Becker, 1878, and Schizopelma F. O. Pickard-Cambridge, 1897, with comments on species in related genera (Araneae: Theraphosidae). Arachnology17(2): 61-92.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I wasnt clear enough. Davus pentaloris is the only one established in the hobby. Davus pentaloris is mistakenly sold in the hobby as D. fasciatus. Therefore, in the hobby now if you think you own D. fasciatus, it is almost definitely D. pentaloris.

So if you are buying D. fasciatus from a vendor then you are most likely buying D. pentaloris

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yes, please, could someone explain the relevant details about the tiger rump species (plural)?

I just bought what I was told was a C pentalore, but I don't know if that's the correct name. There's a welter of information online which conflates pentalore, pentaloris, fasciatus, etc.

Mine does not look anything like the above photo, if you're interested.
Share a picture man.
The easiest way to tell Davus fasciatus from Davus pentaloris is the color of the carapace. D. fasciatus has a dark carapace and D. pentaloris a light color. Most tarantulas sold in the hobby are D. pentaloris. This isn't a matter of nomenclature changes, but how the species was always misidentified in the hobby. Read the paper referenced below for an identification guide to the species of Davus. That will clear up what species you actually have in your collections.

Reference
Gabriel, R. (2016). Revised taxonomic placement of the species in the Central American genera Davus O. Pickard-Cambridge, 1892, Metriopelma Becker, 1878, and Schizopelma F. O. Pickard-Cambridge, 1897, with comments on species in related genera (Araneae: Theraphosidae). Arachnology17(2): 61-92.
Thanks, do you have any idea what my T looks like? You say that the majority available in the hobby are D.pentaloris are you implying that's what mine is?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I wasnt clear enough. Davus pentaloris is the only one established in the hobby. Davus pentaloris is mistakenly sold in the hobby as D. fasciatus. Therefore, in the hobby now if you think you own D. fasciatus, it is almost definitely D. pentaloris.

So if you are buying D. fasciatus from a vendor then you are most likely buying D. pentaloris
Alright now I get it, would you be able to say for certain that my specimen is not the above mentioned species? Does the picture show enough...

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Share a picture man.

Thanks, do you have any idea what my T looks like? You say that the majority available in the hobby are D.pentaloris awe you implying that's what mine is?
Your specimen looks like this
IMG_0617.PNG then it is pentaloris

Last edited:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Thanks, do you have any idea what my T looks like? You say that the majority available in the hobby are D.pentaloris are you implying that's what mine is?
Well, I can see the picture you attached to your original post. You should seek out and read the paper I referenced so you can verify the species yourself. ;)

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
The paper by Ray Gabriel also shows that there are 4 different abdomen patterns/locals for D. pentaloris. There is a good picture of the true D. fasciatus in the link below, which if I am reading things right has never been in the hobby. Many vendors/sellers are still labeling the now D. pentaloris as their former names (D. fasciatus, C. pentalore, C. fasciatum) maybe to keep locals separate?
http://birdspiders.com/gallery/index.php/Tarantulas/birdspiders_0890

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
There have been a few people acquire D. fasciatus recently. I have seen on Facebook

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I cant remember who posted it but it was on arachnoboards group. I tried to find it earlier to post here.

It had very dark deep emerald carapace

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I cant remember who posted it but it was on arachnoboards group. I tried to find it earlier to post here.

It had very dark deep emerald carapace
Very Cool!! I hope they start to make it into more of the sales lists

louise f

Arachnoangel
Well now i am confused. I have had back in 2012 a breeding pair sold from 2 different persons. In germany and Hungary sold as D.faciatus. link below.
http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/cyclosternum-faciatum-1-0-and-0-1.23037/

And at the moment i have some slings i got from a German breeder sold as D.faciatus as well.
Here`s the pics of those

IMG_3338.JPG

Here comes my big question... Is this or is it not D.faciatus. ??

Attachments