D. diamantinensis. Color variation.

Crystal Spider

Arachnopeon
D. rufoniger is not that "purpleish". Lol. This pic has a lot of lighting. They actually have a reddish earthy brown colors, and only got really blue/purple (under natural lighting) a few days after a molt.
Right... that photo was most probably taken with a strong flash after a molt.

Dolichothele rufoniger caught my attention because of your gallery. :happy:

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Updating this thread, I posted the color variations agains in my gallery, adding up a purpleish form, this one, tbh, I dont know if will keep its coloration or if it will get dark while growing.

The other ones, like the previous individuals I posted in this thread, kept their colors since they were slings.

fried rice

Arachnoknight
Im predicting that my sling is going to have the green color form. She is really reclusive but one time she came out of her burrow and her head was a shiny green color.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Anxious to see what color variation my group of 8 will be. I like the looks of both the green and blue color forms.

D2550D31-F783-4809-9BDD-C25917CD0E4A.jpeg

Still way to young to have a clue.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The green variation in this thread was always green, individuals from the same eggsac was always green too.

The blue variation in this thread, like I said, came from a green x dark pairing, but it was always blue, the blue ones observed in situ since slings was always blue either.

The dark/black variation was examined with taxonomic (is that a word?) keys and they were proven to be D. diamantinensis too.

I know that some green variations were once, blue (and vice versa), and I've also seen some black ones turning into blue/green, I believe all these color variations breed in situ, but there aren't any proof about it yet.

There are also purpleish ones, and these are even rarer to see in situ, than the blue ones.

Unfortunately, when it comes to science, there aren't any article describing these color variations. These observations were made by keepers that could wc individuals from the same location and compared them with taxonomic keys.
To be clear, all 3 color forms were found in NATURE in the same geographic location, and NOT geographically isolated from each other? The latter part is important if this is known.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
To be clear, all 3 color forms were found in NATURE in the same geographic location, and NOT geographically isolated from each other? The latter part is important if this is known.

Tmk, they were all found in the same location, without any geographic barriers.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
IF so, that's a big WOW assuming they are the same species based on what you posted earlier.
Imo, these variations needed to be checked in a molecular level. I know taxonomic keys were verified on all 3 of them and they all match, plus they can be find in the same location so, for now, they are all D. diamantinensis. Who knows what a molecular analysis would say, though?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Imo, these variations needed to be checked in a molecular level. I know taxonomic keys were verified on all 3 of them and they all match, plus they van be find in the location so, for now, they are all D. diamantinensis. Who knows what a molecular analysis would say, though?
That's exactly what I'm waiting for on Avics!!!! I'm convinced some of the morpotypes are either subspecies or different species.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
That's exactly what I'm waiting for on Avics!!!! I'm convinced some of the morpotypes are either subspecies or different species.
Me too, but I dont think something new on them will come up so soon.

But here's a funny thing with D. diamantinensis is that a couple of keepers already succesfully paired green x dark/black (dont remember which color is the male and the female).

Two eggsacs hatched, in different periods of time.
The first one, ALL individuals were dark/black.

The second one, some individuals got blue, others dark/black and a few others became purpleish. However, the purple ones got darkened within time. The others kept their colors.

It was also observed that some blue individuals can turn into green ones while growing but NOT vice versa.

I still believe since they are in the same location, all these different variations breed in situ, who knows the blue ones arent a result of a natural green x dark pairing?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Me too, but I dont think something new on them will come up so soon.

But here's a funny thing with D. diamantinensis is that a couple of keepers already succesfully paired green x dark/black (dont remember which color is the male and the female).

Two eggsacs hatched, in different periods of time.
The first one, ALL individuals were dark/black.

The second one, some individuals got blue, others dark/black and a few others became purpleish. However, the purple ones got darkened within time. The others kept their colors.

It was also observed that some blue individuals can turn into green ones while growing but NOT vice versa.

I still believe since they are in the same location, all these different variations breed in situ, who knows the blue ones arent a result of a natural green x dark pairing?

See, because no one knows what is going on in nature is reason not to breed them to each other. I'd never breed different looking species to each other. Molecular reveals the identity to support cladistics or point to new evidence suggesting a new species.

This just like Avics..the breeding news is not good if they are different..not good at all. Where's the breeding happening?

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
See, because no one knows what is going on in nature is reason not to breed them to each other. I'd never breed different looking species to each other. Molecular reveals the identity to support cladistics or point to new evidence suggesting a new species.
I have a couple of green, pure lineage. My intention is to pair them (of course, lol) and if all turns well, see if the individuals will all turn into green ones.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
This just like Avics..the breeding news is not good if they are different..not good at all. Where's the breeding happening?
But the morphotypes in Avic, if I remember correctly, arent found in the same location. Different from diamantinensis. But the natural pairing thing is just me, guessing, based on what I've seen in captivity and in the info I got about morphology.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But the morphotypes in Avic, if I remember correctly, arent found in the same location. Different from diamantinensis. But the natural pairing thing is just me, guessing, based on what I've seen in captivity and in the info I got about morphology.

Wasn't clear enough--- meaning I think the Avics need molecular analysis, that's all.

In what country is the cross-breeding happening? Done by hobbyists or scientists?

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Wasn't clear enough--- meaning I think the Avics need molecular analysis, that's all.

In what country is the cross-breeding happening? Done by hobbyists or scientists?
Agreed on the avics, I think in the revision article there's even a note on this subject.

The cross breeding was made by brazilian hobbysts