Cyst?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm very glad that I didn't know about this before my B. albopilosum started molting - no time for me really to worry. After she flipped, I caught my first glimpse of this nasty spot:

IMG_0760.JPG

Is that indeed a cyst, or something else? I've looked at pictures online, and I can't quite seem to find one that matches it exactly like that. It almost looks human, with it being red and all. Thankfully, she molted without issue, which allowed me to get a picture of the inside:

IMG_0768.JPG

Any ideas as to what this is? I'd expect there's nothing I can really do other than keeping status quo, but I'm hoping for some insight from those who have experienced this in the past.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Possibly a cyst. Right in an area that could be drag related as well.
Good reason to not let tarantulas get too fat.
Regardless what it is, I'd feed her sparingly through next few molts to minimize pressure on the abdomen.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm not sure, could it be impact related? I imagine they don't bruise but maybe something similar?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Possibly a cyst. Right in an area that could be drag related as well.
Good reason to not let tarantulas get too fat.
Regardless what it is, I'd feed her sparingly through next few molts to minimize pressure on the abdomen.
That is a very good point, it does look like it was dragged. Thanks for the input, I'll keep that in mind.

I'm not sure, could it be impact related? I imagine they don't bruise but maybe something similar?
From the molt, it almost feels like a scab. It's very hard, not at all the texture of anything else around it.

I left this part out - I have no idea if the injury is still there. I haven't seen her upside down yet.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
That is a very good point, it does look like it was dragged. Thanks for the input, I'll keep that in mind.
From the molt, it almost feels like a scab. It's very hard, not at all the texture of anything else around it.
I left this part out - I have no idea if the injury is still there. I haven't seen her upside down yet.
Like @Formerphobe said I'd be light with the food. Once it has recovered from the molt fully I'd try to check out the underside and see if it still has the spot. Then take it from there.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
That is odd, it might be from an impact then. I'm not as familiar with T ruptures or if the can seal up from them so all of that is just a guess. It would be good to know more about that if people have info.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm going to post to that thread after she heals up from the molt, I want to see if that spot is still there. There's some nasty pictures in that thread, good god. I'm with Formerphobe, though. The more I look at it, the more it looks like it was damaged by dragging her abdomen. Or, at the very least, that couldn't have helped.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I'm very glad that I didn't know about this before my B. albopilosum started molting - no time for me really to worry. After she flipped, I caught my first glimpse of this nasty spot:

View attachment 211990

Is that indeed a cyst, or something else? I've looked at pictures online, and I can't quite seem to find one that matches it exactly like that. It almost looks human, with it being red and all. Thankfully, she molted without issue, which allowed me to get a picture of the inside:

View attachment 211991

Any ideas as to what this is? I'd expect there's nothing I can really do other than keeping status quo, but I'm hoping for some insight from those who have experienced this in the past.
Hey friend, i heard of that before. My friend he has an L.klugi witch had an spot just like yours did. When she molted hers were gone too.
It was very fatten up, so IMO that it is because of dragging abdormen on the ground they got that red spot. You know just like if we crash on a bike and get bruisers.
I am not sure of course, but it could be that.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I have a few really plump slings. I've always went with feed them as much as they'll eat. None of mine, so far, have shown any signs like this though.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I have a few really plump slings. I've always went with feed them as much as they'll eat. None of mine, so far, have shown any signs like this though.
Agreed, I do the same thing. I admit that she was quite fat, no real debating that. However, she wasn't a sling, and it was almost a year since her last molt. Slings molt so often than perhaps any damage caused by dragging the abdomen is 1) healed very quickly on the next molt and 2) doesn't have enough time to compound before the next molt.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Slings molt so often than perhaps any damage caused by dragging the abdomen is 1) healed very quickly on the next molt and 2) doesn't have enough time to compound before the next molt.
Hoping this since I've been shoving food down my slings throats haha. But then again there hasn't really been much, if any, records of it happening to slings.