Cyrtopholis portoricae slings for beginner?

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
I am hoping to get into the tarantula hobby this fall. I am new to t's but not new to animal hobbies (pigeons, fish, roaches amphibians...) I am very interested in the Cyrtopholis portoricae 1/4 inch slings that swift inverts has. Would this be advisable for a newbie? I do plan to get some B. Vagans too. Or should I go for Lp's or an aphonopelma sps?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I am hoping to get into the tarantula hobby this fall. I am new to t's but not new to animal hobbies (pigeons, fish, roaches amphibians...) I am very interested in the Cyrtopholis portoricae 1/4 inch slings that swift inverts has. Would this be advisable for a newbie? I do plan to get some B. Vagans too. Or should I go for Lp's or an aphonopelma sps?
They don't seem to have much care info. Literally zero info on the web about them. I would go for something like the B. vagans, since it is REALLY easy to care for and more people can help you if you have any questions :D As for other species, what are you looking for? A big, hunking mass of spider, a brightly colored one, a small one, etc.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
B. vagans is a winner.

Beautiful, hardy, funny, heavy built, fierce appetite, active and very affordable!

You can do no wrong :)

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
I am for sure getting B. Vagans but looking for a second species. I want an OW but.......

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I am for sure getting B. Vagans but looking for a second species. I want an OW but.......
If you do the right research and know all of the ins and outs of owning a very fast defensive OW with potent venom then go for an OW.

You will get smashed by few on the boards here.

I, along with most here would highly advise getting some speedy NW first.

But I do believe the hobby is your oyster. As long as you have done your homework first, prepare and are fully aware of the situations OW species can put you in, then it shouldn't be a problem getting one as a second T.

Just be ready for anything, wear a suicide bomber type vest with catch-cups instead of bombs and don't let your guard down.

Godspeed.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
C portoricae is a small feisty spider, not a good place to start. Get something easier going and more colorful.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
C portoricae is a small feisty spider, not a good place to start. Get something easier going and more colorful.
Yep! I second that. They are pretty plain and not as heavy set as many other NW terrestrials. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
I guess the thought of chasing down a sling through the house is not a happy one lol. A. Chalcodes, hentzi or a Lasiadora will probably be my second choice. Sorry no Grammastolas for me.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
chalcodes :)

Gorgeous Ts

+1. Very attractive spider, beautiful rich blend of colors. I've had tarantulas over 40 years, almost all of my collection is tropical, 2/3's are arboreal, and yet I still have chalcodes.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
As stated already I would not recommend this species to a beginner especially a sling. In your case I wouldn't recommend a sling regardless because they can be fragile. My recommendation is any brachypelma sp or aphonopelma sp. juvenile . Good Luck!

Sana

Arachnoprince
As stated already I would not recommend this species to a beginner especially a sling. In your case I wouldn't recommend a sling regardless because they can be fragile. My recommendation is any brachypelma sp or aphonopelma sp. juvenile . Good Luck!
I respectfully disagree about beginners and slings. While you are correct that slings are a bit more fragile and I often recommend with a number of species that the user start with a larger specimen, in the case of most NW terrestrials, slings can be a good experience for a newer keeper. Larger NW terrestrials that are excellent for beginners are often slow growers with minimal food and husbandry needs. The minimal husbandry needs are great but I remember being a new keeper. I wanted to take the best possible care of my new charges and my larger individuals while easy to care for and good to learn from did not fulfill that need. My very first tarantula was a .5" G. pulchripes sling. He is still to this day the darling of my collection though he won't be with me for much longer. With slings needing somewhat moist sub, fresh water, and a cricket a couple times a week they require the keeper to be more engaged. They molt more often and the growth is much more dramatic then with a larger spider. Slings also require rehousing more often then their larger counterparts and in my experience are a little easier to transfer. This gives a new keeper a lot of experience with enclosure sizes and types as well as a ridiculous amount of rehousing practice. The thing about new keepers and slings is that the keeper needs to do the research on proper husbandry for the species, creating appropriate enclosures, and ask questions for clarification before they house a sling or make a change. Whether or not a new keeper will do well with a sling entirely depends on their dedication level to learning about their spider before making impulsive choices.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Well I would just as well not get a tiny sling but the problem is some species you can only find as slings. There are several 1.5 inches out there however. Hmmm just when I think I got this figured out....

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Well I would just as well not get a tiny sling but the problem is some species you can only find as slings. There are several 1.5 inches out there however. Hmmm just when I think I got this figured out....
Gotta keep digging and find what you want. Then once you decide you can post up on here and see if anyone might be able to help you out.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't get why that Theraphosidae, named C.portoricae couldn't been suggested to a (serious) beginner. Basically is just the average NW just a bit more rare and, probably (here depends) priced.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Well the good thing is, I am not looking for a t to handle. That's what dogs and bearded dragons are for. But I don't want to spend a bunch of money and lose several delicate slings. So if it is better to spend a little more on bigger ones then that is fine. Like a kid in candy store.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess the thought of chasing down a sling through the house is not a happy one lol. A. Chalcodes, hentzi or a Lasiadora will probably be my second choice. Sorry no Grammastolas for me.
Oh common man! Get a Cyrtopholis portoricae give this species a try.
Let's compare portoricae vs vagans.

Cyrtopholis portoricae

Brachypelma vagans