Genus Cyriopagopus (a.k.a. Haplopelma)

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is the same female that had the bad molt before the last; bad fangs, etc. Here she is about 4 days later eating.
Excuse me for the bad pics, did not want to disturb her.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's great news Austin. How big is she now?

Something off topic: I always thought C. sp. "blue" were arboreals, but everytime I see pics of them they appear to be terrestrial or burrowers, even my little one prefers to stay closer to the ground.

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If You give spp. after the genus part of the name then You are saing " any from above " You shuld put sp. to say about sing blue

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Something off topic: I always thought C. sp. "blue" were arboreals, but everytime I see pics of them they appear to be terrestrial or burrowers, even my little one prefers to stay closer to the ground.
All of my lil 1"+ers love digging too. All 15 of them have yet to be arboreal. At a young age, (from everyone I have talked to, or read their post's) their blues have been semi-terr and becoming more arboreal as they grow. I don't know why either. You can't ever see the damn things when they are small! :wall: Unless you don't put in any substrate for it, which seems cruel to me.

The girl is pushing 3.5" now.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have about a 6" female. She burrowed under the log, but almost everynight ventures out and hangs out on her cork bark

zLOST

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Doezsha

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nice pics, I can never catch my Cyriopagopus.sp out to get any good pix. I really want to see it because it just moulted earlier this week. I know that only because it put its moult in the center of its enclosure lol :?

Larkin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Larkin, are you sure that is schmidti male? not hainanum male?

I have seen a schmidti male once (it was a dwarf male for some reason) and it was all around light brown with the white 'mustache', not really dark like yours, just wondering

does anyone have a good picture of schmidti male? i would like to see more, I have seen Guy Tansley's picture but that male looked WC and banged up so cant tell if schmidti male is all light brown or really dark/black
Hi EDED,

I bought it from a good trader as Haplopelma schmidti GOLD, and (as you can see on the first picture) before the last molt it looks like Haplopelma schmidti GOLD. So there was no need to think that it is something different :)
My photo isnt the best, so in real this adult male is a little lighter. But my specimen is still a little darker than the one, which photo i found on this site: http://tarantulacanada.ca
But i think its becuase we use different cameras and different light.

I have also one specimen that I bought as Haplopelma hainanum. Before the last molt it looks like that:
Now when it is mature it looks like that:

Cheers,
Tom

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer

I have three Cyriopagopus schioedtei spiderlings, two of them spend all their time in spiral tunnels they've made going straight to the bottom of the substrate, third has a tent of webbing all over the top of the enclosure, and spends all it's time out on the side. So I guess it just comes down to the individual, I'll have to see how things change as they mature.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have three Cyriopagopus schioedtei spiderlings, two of them spend all their time in spiral tunnels they've made going straight to the bottom of the substrate, third has a tent of webbing all over the top of the enclosure, and spends all it's time out on the side. So I guess it just comes down to the individual, I'll have to see how things change as they mature.

Ya I was beginning to think it was based on individuals. I just hope mine is more visible as an adult, I can hardely see her(lets hope) now.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, i have a 6" female that spends most of its time under ground behind the log. But then at night I can sometimes find it out and about.