Cyriopagopus sp blue owners

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey everybody,I have a large female Cyriopagopus sp blue maybe 8 inches I am assuming wild caught.When I first got her she ate a large lizard I got cheap as a feeder because it was pretty beat up. After this I offered her large crickets which she would never eat. After offering crickets every week or so and her not eating them I thought she must be getting ready for a molt. So I stopped putting them in her cage.After a couple months and no molt and her abdomen looking a little thin for a molt I offered crickets again but she still didn't want them. A while after this my nephew caught some frogs and gave them to me for my spiders .So I tossed one in with this girl and she grabbed it up right away. I've offered crickets again after this and still no interest than another frog and she ate the frog again. So I guess maybe the crickets are just too small for her. Anyways just wandering if anyone else has experienced anything like this with there Cyriopagopus sp blue. thanks Chris...

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mine eats her crickets, but she usually waits until after dark when I'm not in the room. Very interesting. Have you tried large hisser roaches?

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd like to get some roaches but the only ones i,ve seen here where madagascar hissers and they were like 10 bucks each

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
id stay away from hissers there are several species of roach that get pretty large and for the life of me i cant remeber their names..i'll get back with you or you could ask double d's....as far as feeders go, i think todd g had some lizards going for cheap just ck his site.....

my friends sing almost 7.5" only eats larger prey and like yours dosenst seem to take crickets either:? which i'm assuming now might be because it was WC....

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, mine eat crickets w/no problems, hmm i'd try some lg roaches like everybody else said.

BigHairy8's

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is fairly common with the larger T's it seems. Once they are introduced to larger prey, they seem to just lose interest in crickets etc.. In the wild, T's will eat anything that they can grab a hold of. They are not used to the "weekly" feeding ritual and sometimes go for months without eating. If your "China Blue" will only eat vertebrate prey, try some peach fuzzy mice or pinkie rats. They are cheaper than frogs or lizards. Make sure you keep her encosure clean as vertebrate prey remains seem to attract more bacteria. Like the others said try roaches if you can get them. Stay away from hissers, though. They have a hard shell (which T's don't like too much) and can bite your T back.

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
id stay away from mice, Ive seen at least three juv 's that had molting problems specifically with the fangs. sometimes resulting in death. soo just dont take the risk.

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i rarely see my adult female eat. i feed crickets and check on the next day, usually they reduced to little balls, but when they are not i just remove them. they r definitely not among the most aggressive eaters...

last time she molted, she had a small abdomen, so i guess it can be a possibility...

BigHairy8's

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
id stay away from mice, Ive seen at least three juv 's that had molting problems specifically with the fangs. sometimes resulting in death. soo just dont take the risk.
Just a question here. I'm not quite understanding this. Your "juvi" T's lost fangs during a molt because of eating mice? Or am I taking this wrong? In my opinion, vertebrate prey should only be fed to T's as a last resort. Or to very large T's that are being bred to gain some wieght. Why would you feed a juvi T mice when they do great on crickets etc..?;)

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well thanks everybody for your input i just wandered if any one else had ever had a spider with similar habits this one has just never eaten any crickets even if i left them in there for a couple days i know tarantulas can go for long periods without food but i would think that in the wild in the jungle most of the time the forest would just come alive with all sorts of creepy crawlies for them to feast on at night i would think a lot more feeding opportuities than captive t's get chris..

christin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a young 3" singapore blue, she eats crix and roaches though. I imagine that your wild caught T is just use to larger stuff. I can't say that I blame her, I would picka frog over a cricket any day:)

Try "false death head" cockroaches, also called discoids sometimes. Sorry, I can't remember the scientific name right now. They have a softer shell, less expensive than hissers, and you can get them online. If you have more than a few T's, they are easy breeders, they don't stink, climb glass, and they are not egg layers. As adullts they are 3", pretty substantial for even large T's....If she'll take them.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my l. parahybana stopped eating crix when she got bigger. i now feed her those big african grasshoppers, and she does just fine on them. also, you don't need so many feeders that way.