Cyriopagopus paganus??

Newtot

Arachnosquire
I bought a T as this but read they are haplopelma?? First and foremost it was absolutely the most nasty tempered T I have seen. Lol gave me a mini heart attack. Second are they obligate borrowers like I read? What do yall use to house them??

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought a T as this but read they are haplopelma?? First and foremost it was absolutely the most nasty tempered T I have seen. Lol gave me a mini heart attack. Second are they obligate borrowers like I read? What do yall use to house them??
There are some Cyriopagopus that are arboreal but I think the paganus used to be called the Haplopelma sp. Vietnam.

You can set it up like any other Asian fossorial species (e.g just like a Haplopelma). Essentially a tub with a lot of substrate will do.

Newtot

Arachnosquire
Ok that's what I thought and it was bigger then I thought so now I'm gonna have to rehouse it again 😳. I have never seen such a defensive T, prodded it once and it was like all hell broke loose lmao

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok that's what I thought and it was bigger then I thought so now I'm gonna have to rehouse it again 😳. I have never seen such a defensive T, prodded it once and it was like all hell broke loose lmao
That is in the same genus as the Thailand Black (C. minax) so I'm not surprised at all about the temperament.
I have always told people if they think their life is too boring, get a Thailand Black. Guaranteed constant fear every tank maintenance. :smirk:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Actually, there are not really any true C. paganus in the hobby as the original description of the species are very vague and are not into depth. Most C. paganus in the hobby are mostly C. vonwirthi or some other look alike species. Sadly, when it comes to this kind of thing, identification is confusing. @AphonopelmaTX can explain it better than I can.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Give it a deep moist substrate. For an adult around 10 inches, and preferably insert a corcbarktube or rounded corkbark deep in the substrate. If they have a deep retreat they are retreating into this when you open up the cage and are much more calm and secure

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
That is in the same genus as the Thailand Black (C. minax) so I'm not surprised at all about the temperament.
I have always told people if they think their life is too boring, get a Thailand Black. Guaranteed constant fear every tank maintenance. :smirk:
I have a C.minax and I do cage maintenance no problem. She is actually very easy going to be honest. Plus since I rehoused it out of a i can't see crap though it sterilite container I see her every day now.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Actually, there are not really any true C. paganus in the hobby as the original description of the species are very vague and are not into depth. Most C. paganus in the hobby are mostly C. vonwirthi or some other look alike species. Sadly, when it comes to this kind of thing, identification is confusing. @AphonopelmaTX can explain it better than I can.
Thanks for the shout out. :)

Here is a link to a post that would be relevant here.

In the paper by Volker von Wirth and Boris Striffler (2005) referred to in the above link, they speculate that Cyriopagopus vonwirthi is a synonym of C. minax. But since no one has published a full description of the type specimen of C. paganus and compared it to all other species of Cyriopagopus, no one really knows what it is exactly. So at the end of the day, if tarantulas sold as C. paganus are C. vonwirthi, then they could ultimately be C. minax.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I got this guy labeled C. paganus. I'm not sure what he actually is though. 🤔

8E2DA0E8-0038-4303-AFA5-81A53947A260.jpeg

Last edited:

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Here is a pic of it lol
As @Liquifin and @AphonopelmaTX said, C. paganus aren’t in the hobby yet. Most Ts sold as C. paganus are either C. vonwirthi or C. minax. Yours is 100% C. vonwirthi. Care is the same as any other Haplopelma/Cyriopagopus. Give it deep, moist substrate, and it will be happy. Make sure to give it a pre-made burrow as well, as this helps them settle in quicker. Once they’ve settled in, they’re honestly not that bad. I bought two from my LPS last month, and both were EXTREMELY defensive when I was rehousing them out of their deli cups. But once they were in their new enclosures, they calmed down quite a bit. Here’s some pics:

EF384B84-3E9A-4117-AC8C-272C3F64E09C.jpeg

2596719F-9E88-48A6-B82C-AF82F6E76E2B.jpeg

BDF86C18-DEBA-4CB2-A2BE-331E3DF71F09.jpeg

D90994FB-3BED-4119-AF87-9A68B4613EA7.jpeg

And in case you don’t already know, they are FAST. The larger of the two scared the hell out of me when she bolted out of her enclosure, across the floor and up the wall.... But it worked out in the end. I was able to get her down, and I got a terrific photo for my Instagram :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I concur with @0311usmc. I also own a C. minax and she’s quite laid back. I honestly think ExoticsLair is the main reason this species gets such a bad reputation, but the truth is, his was defensive because he wasn’t keeping it right. Since he’s rehoused it into a proper enclosure, he’s hardly had any issues with it.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
There are some Cyriopagopus that are arboreal but I think the paganus used to be called the Haplopelma sp. Vietnam.

You can set it up like any other Asian fossorial species (e.g just like a Haplopelma). Essentially a tub with a lot of substrate will do.
The Arboreal Cyriopagopus sp. were moved to the genus Omothymus in the same revision that moved Haplopelma sp. to Cyriopagopus :)

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I concur with @0311usmc. I also own a C. minax and she’s quite laid back. I honestly think ExoticsLair is the main reason this species gets such a bad reputation, but the truth is, his was defensive because he wasn’t keeping it right. Since he’s rehoused it into a proper enclosure, he’s hardly had any issues with it.
I know my statement would attract the rage of the Haplo Defenders and I accept that.
I still stand by my assessment, which has nothing to do with ExoticsLair (it's obvious that the guy over-dramatises everything so how that would create a bad reputation for the specie is beyond me).

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I know my statement would attract the rage of the Haplo Defenders and I accept that.
I still stand by my assessment, which has nothing to do with ExoticsLair (it's obvious that the guy over-dramatises everything so how that would create a bad reputation for the specie is beyond me).
No rage from me my friend, just stating my personal experience. :)

No problems with your assessment either. I’m well aware that although mine’s chill, that’s not the case with all. After all, they’re still Haplos/Cyrios....

One man’s sweetheart can be another man’s nightmare, like women!

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
As @Liquifin and @AphonopelmaTX said, C. paganus aren’t in the hobby yet. Most Ts sold as C. paganus are either C. vonwirthi or C. minax. Yours is 100% C. vonwirthi. Care is the same as any other Haplopelma/Cyriopagopus. Give it deep, moist substrate, and it will be happy. Make sure to give it a pre-made burrow as well, as this helps them settle in quicker. Once they’ve settled in, they’re honestly not that bad. I bought two from my LPS last month, and both were EXTREMELY defensive when I was rehousing them out of their deli cups. But once they were in their new enclosures, they calmed down quite a bit. Here’s some pics:

View attachment 347600

View attachment 347601

View attachment 347602

View attachment 347603

And in case you don’t already know, they are FAST. The larger of the two scared the hell out of me when she bolted out of her enclosure, across the floor and up the wall.... But it worked out in the end. I was able to get her down, and I got a terrific photo for my Instagram :p
Looks like my MM. hmm

Newtot

Arachnosquire

View attachment 347600

View attachment 347601

View attachment 347602

View attachment 347603

Yes I know they are fast. I have never seen such a cranky animal lol. I touched it and it instantly hit the oh shit button and went nuts lmao. I had a mini heart attack. Wish we could tell them we mean no harm haha