Cyriopagopus Paganus/Haplopelma breeding.

T

Tarantula

My lil spiders have been going at it constantly and I am pretty certain that the female is gonna be gravid because she has been succesfully mated numerous times. My question is about gestation. How long does it take for specieslike this to lay their eggsacs?

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not realy answering your Q, but i'v heard that eggsack's from Haplos are small and hard to keep from going bad..... Good luck to you though :)

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say Lariz would be the man to speak to on this one.

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

as you maybe know, I keep some little stuff of asian tarantulas!;)
I've bred a lot of Haplopelma Species within the last Years (Hapl. sp. "aureopilosum", Hapl. sp. "longipedum", Hapl. lividum and at least Haplopelma schmidti). The mating of Haplopelma Species is usually very peacefully (with the exception of the real Haplopelma minax). I always mate my Species at the autm (here in Germany) of of the Year. Then I make the "winter" time for them with lower tempartures (~ 18°C) and a higher humidity. I turn off the heating in the tarantula-room. To my opinion it is neccessary that the mated females have a tube where they live in. Martin Huber had a posting here in this forum which shows the cages for burrowing tarantulas like Haplopelma Species!When we will have the first days with Sun outside, at the end of the German winter, the tarantula - room will be heaten up because of the first sunbeams which comes in. The pregnant tarantulas recognise the changing of the environment conditions and in the beginning - middle of February they usually will build their cocons. They will keep the cocons for 7 - 8 Weeks. Then I took the cocons away from the mothers and usually I'll have praelarva or larva.BTW, I'll keep the Babys for the rest of the time - untill they will be Nymphs (=Spiderlings) - in plasticboxes on wet cotton wool.

Cheers, Volker

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

heh, yeah im sure you know just a "little" about the asians ;). Does the temperature adjustments apply to other old worlders as well, ie Poecilotheria?

-V

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

good question. I've never bred Poecilotheria because I don't keep them (they are taxonomically boring;P ) but I think it would be the same like I'd explained it for the Haplopelma. To my opinion it is important that the mated female tarantulas have the possibility to recognise that there is a change in the seasons for them.So, if you keep your Poecilotheria in Summer with an averagely temperature of 26 - 28°C, it would be the best to make a lower temperature (round about 20°C) for their "Winter" season (= 4 - 6 Weeks)! If the temperatures grows up after this "Winter", the pregnant females will think "Oh, it's Spring, let's use the time and make a cocon!":)

Cheers, Volker