Cyriopagopus lividus (Cobalt Blue) behavior and questions

Codec

Arachnopeon
Good evening all, I am a recent member to these boards based on all the recommendations I've seen from YouTube personalities in the hobby (Dark Den, Tom Moran, Tarantula Collective).

Of all the research I've done on cyriopagopus lividus, everything I've read and/or listened to, says that you'd be lucky to really see them about twice a year. Mine is currently a juvenile, I received it when it was a sling and it has molted once in my care. She has about two feet of substrate in her tank to give her plenty of room to build her home. The reason I'm posting this is I am trying to understand why her behavior is so different from everything I've seen or heard in the past. She is out at the top of her burrow in full display multiple times a day and she explores the top of her substrate nightly. She drags out any food left overs (typically a single cricket leg if anything) and she is currently dragging some moss into her tunnel to "decorate."

Overall, my Cobalt Blue (conveniently named 'Blue') seems significantly more active and on display than I've heard of.

Is this standard behavior for this species while they are juveniles? Real world information on this species seems spotty at best but I love seeing her every day.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I've never raised them from slings/juveniles but I see my adult female about twice a month. Hangs out underneath the plants right outside of her burrow for a day and then disappears again.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I raised my female from a sling. Never seen much more than legs out the burrow entrance in my years with her. I probably have seen her 3 times maybe all the way out of burrow, probably my fault giving her 14" of dirt to play in. She will grab a roach i drop in and disappear down burrow, next day I will have a bolus on the far side of enclosure. I would just enjoy seeing yours while it lasts.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
For whatever reason, a lot of juvenile fossorials exhibit more "exploratory" behaviour than their adult counterparts. I have a juvie O. aureotibialis that comes out of its burrow several times a week and my sling P. muticus hangs out on top of the substrate despite having about six inches to play in about half the time I look at its enclosure. This could be because as slings they need to venture forth to find their own territory so to speak and its an instinctual drive to find a place to start a burrow away from where they were born. In captivity this is shown by them being more visible as they "explore" their enclosures. This is just my take and it could be wrong, but that's what I got. ;)

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
2 feet of substrate? Please post a pic of enclosure.

omni

Arachnobaron
oh you'll see a couple blue legs sticking out of a hole often, esp. if you don't feed it much. Tong feed if you have the nerves, they will grab a roach fast! otherwise they wait until prey comes by their hole and you might only know it ate bcs the prey is gone by next day.
I haven't raised a lividum from a sling. I also hear they explore a little when small and can vouch for having a pet hole you put roaches in. Best chance for seeing an adult lividum out is couple hours after it's dark in the room and the T is really hungry

Codec

Arachnopeon
2 feet of substrate? Please post a pic of enclosure.
Is there a particular reason this bothers you? The goal was to build a home she would be happy with, from everything I've read and researched about this species, they care about dirt and humidity. That's it.

omni

Arachnobaron
lol. i think nobody has seen literally 24" of sub. and he doesn't believe. more than 12" would be great, why limit your T?

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
We’re just wondering what kind of setup will accommodate 2’ of substrate! Certainly nothing wrong with the idea

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
We’re just wondering what kind of setup will accommodate 2’ of substrate! Certainly nothing wrong with the idea
I always thought if I could find a clear 55 gallon drum I would fill it up with substrate and house a female P.muticus and she what she can do with all that. Haven't seen one yet but if I do I will give it a try.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good evening all, I am a recent member to these boards based on all the recommendations I've seen from YouTube personalities in the hobby (Dark Den, Tom Moran, Tarantula Collective).

Of all the research I've done on cyriopagopus lividus, everything I've read and/or listened to, says that you'd be lucky to really see them about twice a year. Mine is currently a juvenile, I received it when it was a sling and it has molted once in my care. She has about two feet of substrate in her tank to give her plenty of room to build her home. The reason I'm posting this is I am trying to understand why her behavior is so different from everything I've seen or heard in the past. She is out at the top of her burrow in full display multiple times a day and she explores the top of her substrate nightly. She drags out any food left overs (typically a single cricket leg if anything) and she is currently dragging some moss into her tunnel to "decorate."

Overall, my Cobalt Blue (conveniently named 'Blue') seems significantly more active and on display than I've heard of.

Is this standard behavior for this species while they are juveniles? Real world information on this species seems spotty at best but I love seeing her every day.
Normal

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron

You should just be grateful you get to see yours! I keep my 4” Female on 4”-5” of substrate and the last time she left her burrow was 5 months ago :rolleyes:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I always thought if I could find a clear 55 gallon drum I would fill it up with substrate and house a female P.muticus and she what she can do with all that. Haven't seen one yet but if I do I will give it a try.
That would be awesome

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
That would be awesome
I would bet that she would still burrow all the way to the bottom of barrel too. I have yet had a fossorial, Asian or African that did not burrow to the bottom of enclosure even with 12" or more of substrate, in wild most are found several feet below ground. Plus can you imagine having a room of clear 55 gallon drums as enclosures, lol.