Cyriopagopus hainanum long molt disappearance

TechComMike

Arachnopeon
Had this girl a year and a half approx and first molt with me she went up to about 6.5" or so and really beautiful color contrasts. Quite a night wanderer as well, often out of burrow on the snoop and good frequent eater. But while that first molt she'd webbed up the burrow mouth for maybe two weeks, she's been gone to ground this time probably six weeks to two months now, no traffic in or out during that time, always identical web / substrate cover across burrow. No strange smell in enclosure to suggest any premature demise but just seems inconsistent with prior molt cycle and unfortunately, unlike my H. gigas girl next door to her, she hasn't made nice burrow windows up against the glass. So, for those with these Asian fossorials, what do you think? Just no big deal and keep waiting or do some burrow opening (cautiously so of course since she'll likely be a robust 7"+ by now if okay) to find out what gives in there?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
No big deal, adults can take a long time in the molt process. As long as she went in fat and happy and you're keeping proper soil moisture, I'd give her 10-12 weeks before I start to get worried.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Mine just molted recently, seen it out near burrow entrance last night at around 3". Give it some time and it will impress you with its burrow going straight to the bottom of enclosure near the corner giving you an awesome view of its burrow!!!!
Nice tarantula by the way man, its one of my favorites in collection.

Attachments

TechComMike

Arachnopeon
Mine just molted recently, seen it out near burrow entrance last night at around 3". Give it some time and it will impress you with its burrow going straight to the bottom of enclosure near the corner giving you an awesome view of its burrow!!!!
Nice tarantula by the way man, its one of my favorites in collection.
Alas, that's part of the problem, that she burrowed down at an angle from the middle of the substrate (my fault there, fabricated her a starter burrow entrance), resulting in just two tiny windows now on either side of one corner of the tank and she put up thick web curtains over those windows a long time ago so no peeping Tom's in her neighborhood! If only I could get even a vague glance inside to see any movement at all, it would be welcome. Still. consensus is as I'd expected to wait her out at least a few more weeks, which I'll do. Got a roach in there upstairs giving 'good vibrations' hopefully just in case she starts to feel peckish and comes up to open that burrow door.

thanks for replies.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Alas, that's part of the problem, that she burrowed down at an angle from the middle of the substrate (my fault there, fabricated her a starter burrow entrance), resulting in just two tiny windows now on either side of one corner of the tank and she put up thick web curtains over those windows a long time ago so no peeping Tom's in her neighborhood! If only I could get even a vague glance inside to see any movement at all, it would be welcome. Still. consensus is as I'd expected to wait her out at least a few more weeks, which I'll do. Got a roach in there upstairs giving 'good vibrations' hopefully just in case she starts to feel peckish and comes up to open that burrow door.

thanks for replies.
Thats a bummer bro for sure. Keep your head up you may get lucky. Had a c.vonworthi burrow down a corner leaving me a tiny viewing window then one day she said this isnt working out and dug out the whole bottom leaving me a great view. You just never know with these guys.

Attachments

TechComMike

Arachnopeon
Nearly two months later but thought I'd just update because after waiting and waiting, she finally emerged from the burrow tonight (I suspect came out once before 2 days ago) and it was truly a Jaws "You're gonna need a bigger boat!" moment. Whoa, I guess she really took the time to do that molt right. These T's can get seriously large. My big Pamphobeteus antinous had molted just a couple of weeks ago and really put on some impressive size to 7.5"+ and then this hainanum steps out and is just as big. What's more they are big bodied, very large carapace spiders. I just wasn't expecting to see something as impressive as this so glad I followed the advice to leave her be and take her time. Thanks.