Cyriopagopus Albostriatus

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
I'm wondering about others experience with keeping these.
I've found i have a huge love for them.

Compared to other Asian species,they are absolutely beautiful to work with IMO.

Not that I'm complacent when doing maintenance and things in their enclosure,but feeding them off tongs every so often,they take the food very gentle.
They are more forgiving I feel and that's actually why I'm asking about others experience with them and their thoughts about them.

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
Why are you tong feeding :banghead::banghead:

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Why are you tong feeding :banghead::banghead:
I don't do that all the time. I have some spiders I can do that with safely. The ones I have that I know will slam the tongs I don't attempt to feed that way because I don't want to hurt them.
But yes IAM that person that will on occasion tong feed a few of them.

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
You dont need to door dash them, so why do it?

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Look I do that when they are out or have legs out already. I don't lure them out.
There is not a single thing wrong with that period I don't care what you say. Also I don't remember asking a question about feeding from tongs,so why are you on about this?
You don't do it,you don't like it. I fully understand that.
I actually enjoy it from time to time.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Tong feeding is frowned upon by most members. There are members here that had their T run up the tongs and some keepers got tagged.

A keeper must understand the difference between tong feeding a sling vs an adult tarantula, NW vs OW. Keeper's know their T's in their collection best and which ones display a docile disposition that they are going to attempt tong feeding if that's what they want to do. A keeper also accepts the risk either to you or your T.

T's temperament can change on a dime with no indication.

I use to tong feed my adult C. versicolor. It was the most docile tarantula I ever had. I would never tong feed any of my other T's.

I can admit that was probably a bad idea back when I used to do that. I would never forgive myself if bolted up the tongs and fell to the ground rupturing it's abdomen.

There are risk other than being bitten.

I cannot bash anyone for doing it as I use to do it quite sometime ago.

Besides that Cyriopagopus albostriatus is a beautiful tarantula. It's leg stripes remind me of A. seemanii.

Lurtz

Arachnopeon
I legitimately had no idea that tong feeding was so looked-down on. I’ve been doing it for my entire time keeping tarantulas and have never had problems with it.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I legitimately had no idea that tong feeding was so looked-down on. I’ve been doing it for my entire time keeping tarantulas and have never had problems with it.
It's the risk associated with what might happen not what 100% will.

Members are very passionate about tarantulas on AB and what is best for tarantulas.

There is always some sort of risk whenever interacting with tarantulas. You can tong feed 200 times in a row and it takes it gently from the tongs. Then the 201st time it runs up the tongs or misses the feeder and breaks it's fang/s on the metal tongs unless you're using wood.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Nor did I not that I do it everyday and yes IAM fully aware of the risks and what spiders we have that when I do decide to go for it it's fine. My friends chilobrachys haunin, yes she will come right up a set of tongs and nope not going to ever attempt that again with her just because of the way she will fully come out and investigate things just from opening the enclosure.

The temperament of the Albostriatus is less firey than I expected I guess was my reason for asking about other keeper's experience with them.
Kinda like a breath of fresh air so to speak. Yes I understand that this may change or be the same with another spider of the same type.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
My albostriatus is just like the rest of my Cyriopagopus collection. Mostly legs coming out of the substrate who bolts deep to burrows at slightest disturbance. Been a very easy going tarantula to keep and one of my favorites as I like the leg markings when I do see her.

Attachments

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Lots of reports of people who tong feed their tarantulas because they "know its temperament", only for the tarantula to have a bad day, climb up the tongs and bite the owner. Don't risk it

Last edited: