Cyriopagapus spp. temperment

mandolin101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I tried searching the forums for information about Cyriopagapus spp. "Singapore blue" but I found only limited information. Maybe I didnt have the right key word :? I am considering getting one, so any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:D
Mando

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they are very skittish and hide alot. They have a pretty tempermental attitude, and I would recommend reaching into an enclosure unless necessary.

Also they have pretty strong venom (for a T), or so Ive read.

mandolin101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the response. How strong is strong in regards to the venom? The only bite reports I have seen (which is not many) have indicated only mild bite symtoms.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ow ts generally have stronger venom than nw ones. as for c. spec. blue - never been bitten so far so i don't know;).

generally, they are very skittish. neither my female nor my sling have ever tried to bite, though. they flee as soon as i open the tank to do maintainance. but i think they'd bite if there was nowhere to run to. very fast, but rather defensive than agressive. means, they won't jump at your fingers unless they feel they have no other choice:p. mine at least are way more laid back than p. murinus for example.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I took a full hit from a juvie (12 cm leg span) of a close relative; Cyriopagopus sp. "Black" on march 10th. The initial pain was more or less unbearable and continued for 3-4 hours and then subsided to tense soreness, stiffness and swelling to the wrist (bite at thumb). 7 hours after the bite the swelling fell, but the stiffness and soreness continued. The day after only sligth soreness remained but still stiffness and sore knuckles (arthritis-like symptoms) frome here the stiffness and joint-pains subsided slowly during the week, and was increasingly replaced by systemic effects (cramps in more or less all muscle regions alternatively), and I still have the joy of these cramps when I do hard physical training (as of yesterdays training I had about 15-20 minor cramps ...) - quite annoying to be honest.

I am very happy that it was only a bite from a juvenile and not a full grown adult, as I am sure the intensity and duration of the effects of the venom would have been much worse ...

Regards
Søren

Last edited:

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive heard everything from mild pain to very strong pain with mild naseau. Its never going to be anything so serious that you need to be terrified, just that it wont be fun if you get a bad bite.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mine's never given me trouble yet. but i'm always keeping an eye on her, no telling what could happen.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The correct spelling of the genus name is Cyriopagopus, so you might want to try a search with that, though "Singapore Blue" should have brought up something. They are arboreal, though may also burrow esp when smaller, and as others have said, are generally fast and skittish and grow quite large (8" or so). I definitely wouldn't recommend jumping into this species unless you've had some experience with the quicker arboreals, particularly because they are still a bit on the pricey side.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Chris it sounds like you will be gald you took lessions in Oz-Fu from Dr Raven last year ;).

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lmfao that Dr Raven is one hard *edit*!

Last edited by a moderator:

mandolin101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The correct spelling of the genus name is Cyriopagopus, so you might want to try a search with that, though "Singapore Blue" should have brought up something. They are arboreal, though may also burrow esp when smaller, and as others have said, are generally fast and skittish and grow quite large (8" or so). I definitely wouldn't recommend jumping into this species unless you've had some experience with the quicker arboreals, particularly because they are still a bit on the pricey side.
Thanks for the tip about spelling! I got some more info.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Temperment

In regards to temperment; i would say they are skittish; however i wouldn't say aggressive...I have a full grown adult female that is 8" and three juvies that are 4". The juvies aren't aggressive at all, but the adult female can get defensive once in a while. As far as reaching into the cage i would say just be careful but my female has never gone after me.