Cyriocosmus Venom Potency

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
I'm genuinely curious as to whether Cyriocosmus species are known to have more potent venom than most new worlds or not? Through observations of my 1 inch C. Bertae I've noticed that once it grabs a cricket, even ones that would provide a challenge for her to take down, the cricket tends to be dead within several seconds and then the tarantula shoots back up to the entrance to see if any more fall in with her. I've tested her before with 2 crickets. She would grab the first, drag it into her hole, then shoot back up within 30 seconds to grab the second one I dropped into the enclosure.

I can see right down to where she stores them and they are all dead within seconds. No movement from the crickets. She will leave them there for a while before actually starting to eat.

The reason I ask is because when I watch my other tarantulas eat the same size crickets, even the T´s that are far larger than her, the crickets seem to fight and kick for a good while even as the tarantulas eat them.

Is it that the venom of this species is more potent than other new worlds (my limited experience is with cyans, genics, brachies, grammastolas,Aphonopelmas, and Euathlus species) or does she just instinctively know how to kill crickets in seconds? They never seem to put up a fight.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
generally, any spider without urticating hairs has worse venom, so all OWs and Psalmopoeus.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Venom potency against crickets is pretty much the same across the board, both NW and OW. The strong venom of the OW t is aimed at predators. NW don't need the strong venom because the compensate with either urticating hair and/or quickness.

Many t's don't use venom when taking down crickets, because their chelicerae are enough. However, with a small genus such as Cyriocosmus, the specimen may need venom to take down crickets.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Venom potency against crickets is pretty much the same across the board, both NW and OW. The strong venom of the OW t is aimed at predators. NW don't need the strong venom because the compensate with either urticating hair and/or quickness.

Many t's don't use venom when taking down crickets, because their chelicerae are enough. However, with a small genus such as Cyriocosmus, the specimen may need venom to take down crickets.
Oh okay, this makes sense! I've been truly curious about this for a while and didnt even think about the fact the chelicerae are dang strong and that why would they even need to waste the venom on something they can easily overpower. Thank you!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
their main prey in the wild is most likely smaller than crickets. ;)

awiec

Arachnoprince
I would have to dig up the paper but tarantula venom in general is formulated to be potent against rodents ( which generally prey on them and are the occasional food item), even G.rosea venom can take out a mouse. In general tarantulas are "crushers" as in they use brute force to over power and mash up prey unlike orb weavers and other true spiders who rely on venom to paralyze their prey.