Cyriocosmus Genus Tarantulas

Jeff23

Arachnolord
What is the life expectancy for the species in this genus people have owned? Are any of these arboreal T's or all terrestrial? Do you keep substrate for your adult version dry or moist? I suppose they are all dwarfs? I have slings in a couple of these species (leetzi and bertae) so I am curious.

1. Cyriocosmus aueri
2. Cyriocosmus bertae
3. Cyriocosmus blenginii
5. Cyriocosmus elegans
6. Cyriocosmus fasciatus
7. Cyriocosmus fernandoi
8. Cyriocosmus giganteus
9. Cyriocosmus hoeferi
10. Cyriocosmus itayensis
11. Cyriocosmus leetzi
12. Cyriocosmus nicholausgordoni
13. Cyriocosmus nogueiranetoi
14. Cyriocosmus perezmilesi
15. Cyriocosmus peruvianus
16. Cyriocosmus pribiki
17. Cyriocosmus ritae
18. Cyriocosmus sellatus
19. Cyriocosmus venezuelensis
20. Cyriocosmus versicolor
21. Cyriocosmus williamlamari

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They are terrestrial T's.

Speaking of the Theraphosidae that for years was called C.fasciatum, I wouldn't keep an adult on a "bone dry substrate & water dish only" set up, but on that sense like I keep A.geniculata: not a "swamp" nor with a higher humidity like M.robustum, but not even that dry... you know what I mean. Add fake leaves, they love to web.

They are, overall, a genus of quite little T's, enough for drive me pretty far, far away from them :-s

Jeff23

Arachnolord
They are terrestrial T's.

Speaking of the Theraphosidae that for years was called C.fasciatum, I wouldn't keep an adult on a "bone dry substrate & water dish only" set up, but on that sense like I keep A.geniculata: not a "swamp" nor with a higher humidity like M.robustum, but not even that dry... you know what I mean. Add fake leaves, they love to web.

They are, overall, a genus of quite little T's, enough for drive me pretty far, far away from them :-s
From what I am seeing it looks like they only reach a couple inches. I am still trying to determine if my leetzi slings are still alive. I should have placed them (1/8" size) into vials (and in that scenario I probably wouldn't want to own them due to the trouble on care with my travel). But in my 5.5 oz deli cups I am afraid to mess with the substrate or lift the cork hides. They are so small I would never know if they take some bites out of the cricket parts I provide.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Get ritae if you can. Quite long lived. One of the best looking IMO and even if matures male looks even better!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Get ritae if you can. Quite long lived. One of the best looking IMO and even if matures male looks even better!
That does look like a nice choice. I don't see it available right now but will put it in my wish list.

I really like that these T's don't need much space as dwarfs. But I wanted to make sure of life span before I consider any more in the future since they are a little pricey.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
From what I am seeing it looks like they only reach a couple inches. I am still trying to determine if my leetzi slings are still alive. I should have placed them (1/8" size) into vials (and in that scenario I probably wouldn't want to own them due to the trouble on care with my travel). But in my 5.5 oz deli cups I am afraid to mess with the substrate or lift the cork hides. They are so small I would never know if they take some bites out of the cricket parts I provide.
I here that. I have my 1/2 inch in a Parmesan container and it seals up its burrow after it eats. It's not a pet hole, just pet dirt.

codicez

Arachnosquire
Hi guys! How this enclosure looks like for my Cyriocosmus Perezmilesi?

I use to keep her in a small pill vial since I got her( December ) today I rehouse her in a bigger enclosure...

When I got her
IMG_20171208_184951.jpg

after 1 molt

IMG_20180110_151211.jpg

After 3 or 4 molt, not sure..

IMG_20180305_180710.jpg

IMG_20180305_181002.jpg

New Enclosure, I rehouse her moving the old enclosure inside the big one, slowly taking off the top substrate with small tweezers, then she came out her burrow and gentle with a pin brush I push on the bottom so she went out .. Then I just throw the substrate from the old enclosure
IMG_20180312_233204.jpg

IMG_20180312_232938.jpg

I know she burrow and I read that she don't like DRY substrate, I used to add few water drop in a previous enclosure once every week/2..
She is doing well..I tried to started a burrow just next to the corkbar, hopefully she goes there..

What's your tought on this ?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
What is the life expectancy for the species in this genus people have owned? Are any of these arboreal T's or all terrestrial? Do you keep substrate for your adult version dry or moist? I suppose they are all dwarfs? I have slings in a couple of these species (leetzi and bertae) so I am curious.
Females are about 10 years, males can mature in as little as a few months and be gone a couple of months later. None are arboreal that I know of. I keep mine a bit moist, overflowing the water dish when I fill it. They are all dwarfs, but adult sizes can vary. My C.bicolor (formerly chicoi) is almost twice the size of my C. elegans and both are adult females. I have had both the species you have - I lost my leetzi in a moult at about 1" and my bertae is doing very well and ended up being female. I have also had ritae and perezmilesi which all turned out male and went out to breed where I could send them. I also have a microscopic Cyriocosmus giganteus spiderling which I am very excited about.
They are very reclusive overall. Of all the species I have kept, C.elegans is the most visible.

CitizensOfTheWomb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got a 1 inch C elegans a few days ago.
I am already really fond of this one. It took to it's starter burrow right away and is an active webber. 20180311_210044-1.jpg

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
My late 2016 C. elegans. I would assume at this age if it we a male it would be hooked out or dead? That little red runner nymph is in for a surprise. 87F84C5B-51ED-461E-BE8D-1F59AF9A6A44.jpeg