Cypress mulch as a substrate?

Telsaro

Arachnopeon
I went to my local pet store and the only substrate other than sand they had in stock was cypress mulch. It claims to be safe for reptiles, T's, and other arthropods on the bag.

I wanted to check with my friends here to see if anyone has had bad experiences with this as a substrate in your pede's enclosure. Some people say its fine, others say that the oils are harmful. Please advise.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I'm a huge fan of the coconut fiber based substrates. Don't have any experience with Cypress mulch.

Telsaro

Arachnopeon
I actually have two layers in my enclosure. A bottom layer of coco coir, 3in deep, and a top layer of cypress mulch 3-4in deep. I didn't notice any adverse reaction from my pede when I put her back in her tank today, but did notice that she burrowed down into the coco coir and is hanging out there.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
As long as they can borrow in it and it retains some humidity I don't think it would be a problem

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Depends on the cypress mulch. Some are ground up relatively fine, and it works nicely. But I've had a batch (for a lizard) that was practically made of damp wood chips, which wouldn't work so well for burrowers.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't know man so I could be wrong but personally I wouldn't risk. My S.subspinipes is housed with Irish moss peat as substrate and I think the set up/parameters I offered are fine, otherwise she would end eating the eggs, among other things. I buy KG of (on the loose sealed bags, I really hate those annoying bricks that took forever to dry) coco fiber and Irish moss from other Italian breeders online... here that stuff is quite cheap just like cork bark, thank God.