Cyclosternum schmardae

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, just a question to anyone really...

There are spiders sold in the hobby as Cyclosternum schmardae, and it seem to me there are likely two species commonly under this name.

I want to ask if anyone knows something informative about the one sold as 'yellow banded', it has lighter joints on the legs. If you do a google image search, one comes up on Ondrej Rehak's website 'spidy.goliathus'. theres another pic on Guy Tansleys website 'giant spiders'. I think this yellow banded species are from Paul Stevens originally, and collected in ecuador or peru.

Thing is, i just got 2 live males, and they surprised me. They have diagnostic features of another south american genus, easily visable to
the eye.. i mean without looking under a microscope... , did anyone look
at adult males of this species before and willing to share their thoughts?

So, basically, i would like to talk to anyone who either has or raised any of the pettrade 'C.schmardae' to adult, particularly ones with yellow bands and who saw/ hopefully photographed males. Curious what they looked like, and do they have the same diagnostic features as mine do...

Thanks,
stuart

ps... i found some people out there think these are from costa rica... definately not, neither the real C.schmardae, nor any of the forms in the hobby under the name !! (well none that i saw anyway..)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Hi Stuart, I have a mature male now of a spider that was sold to me as Cyclosternum schmardae. I'm unsure if its the same as the "yellow banded" one though, because mine look a bit darker than the other photo's I've seen online. Sorry I don't know enough about the genus to know what feature you're looking at, but I can take some pic's to see if mine matches yours. I'm curious to know what diagnostic feature it shares with another South American?:?

My female

Ultimate male

Thanks, Tom

Tank3D

Arachnopeon
Hi Stuart, I have a mature male now of a spider that was sold to me as Cyclosternum schmardae. I'm unsure if its the same as the "yellow banded" one though, because mine look a bit darker than the other photo's I've seen online. Sorry I don't know enough about the genus to know what feature you're looking at, but I can take some pic's to see if mine matches yours. I'm curious to know what diagnostic feature it shares with another South American?:?

My female

Ultimate male

Thanks, Tom
Hi Philth, I am, for some reason, unable to view these images you posted.
I have a similar situation than Stuart where I am not 100% sure the Cyclosternum Schmardae that was sold to me is a true specimen Cyclosternum Schmardae 1.jpg Cyclosternum Schmardae.jpg
I attached my latest Cyclosternum Schmardae post molt picture
Cyclosternum Schmardae post molt.jpg Any assistance would be appreciated
Thanks

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
That looks like what we use to call Bracypelma “vagans complex” to me. Which recently were moved to the genus Tliltocatl.

later, Tom

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it looks like C. schmardae is something like a scum bucket.
some years ago a Pseudhapalopus sp. from colombian highland (pic 1) was sold as schmardae.
and in the younger past there was another Theraphosidae (pic 2) from the amazonian lowland, which was also offer as schmardae.
both are different species and not C. schmardae.

i agree with tom, the pics above looks like Tliltocatl.

Cyclosternum Schmardae W - 3.JPG
02.jpg

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
it looks like C. schmardae is something like a scum bucket.
some years ago a Pseudhapalopus sp. from colombian highland (pic 1) was sold as schmardae.
and in the younger past there was another Theraphosidae (pic 2) from the amazonian lowland, which was also offer as schmardae.
both are different species and not C. schmardae.

i agree with tom, the pics above looks like Tliltocatl.
Is there a single publication that has an accurate definition of Cyclosternum? I've been going through the texts, but I can't find a single author who provided all of the characters for the genus. Maybe that is because no one knows what C schmardae (the genus type) is exactly?

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is there a single publication that has an accurate definition of Cyclosternum? I've been going through the texts, but I can't find a single author who provided all of the characters for the genus.
i afraid, no.

Maybe that is because no one knows what C schmardae (the genus type) is exactly?
...and what´s about Gerschman & Schiapelli (1973b)?