Cyclosternum Fasciatum wow!!!

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
This is my C.fasciatum and i fed her a big dubia roach ( a misjudgement on my part on the size ). It took about 3 hours for the struggle to stop be cause the way she grabbed it her fangs were not strong enough to penetrate the dubias shell and her fangs were bearley long enough to reach its head. The dubia did a good job keeping its head out of reach for about an hour then 1 fang penetrated its eye and shortly after her other fang was in the other eye. It still took almost 2 more hours for the struggle to completeley stop. I think the roach died from the holes in his head and not venom. ? It was really cool to watch my best feeding yet but it raises a few questions. 1- was that roach too big for her? 2- is a long struggle like that bad for my T ? 3-Does a tarantula run out of venom in a long struggle ( does it release all its venom in its 1st strike till the next kill )? 4- should i do something other then dubias for my smaller Ts?
Ohya and heres all my other Ts. sorry for being so unorganized but i just got it. ?http://s1220.photobucket.com/home/VENOMde

Attachments

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I do not think they "run out " of venom they are capable of controlling how much they use so I dont see that its a concern. I try to keep the dubias size to the size of the body of the T I am feeding it to. I have a colony of dubia and feed the slings baby dubia. When I am unable to find one small enough and know the T is ready to eat.. I crush the head of the dubia with a pair of plyers. The dubia still moves around for a while but dies quick enough to keep the struggle to a minimum. I have a post of mt g.pulchra dozer fighting a big dubia and she handled it fine. as long as the dubia isnt way to big its ok.

Shaka

Arachnopeon
I agree with briar... I feed according to the size of the T's opisthosoma & carapace combined. I don't feed food that is the size of the whole T including legs, as violent struggles could lead to the fed, becoming the food...

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are these species really good eaters? I'm thinking about getting one.