Cyclosternum fasciatum namechange

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Question/remark for you all:
Last week when I bought my C. fasciatum's, the dealer had them labeled as Davus (Cyclosternum) fasciatum. He said the name has been changed to Davus, and because everyone knows it as Cyclosternum he put that name in too. So the correct name should now be Davus fasciatum.
Anyone heard of this?
greetz,
Joost

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Unless there has been a major flip flop recently, your dealer has it wrong. Davus was synonymized with Cyclosternum and Cyclosternum has the priority. That's not to say there couldn't have been a flip flop since it's not unheard of, but I would think it unlikely.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Taxonomy, what a bloody mess.

One day I hear Chromatopelma is becoming Cyclosternum, then I hear that Cyclosternum is becoming Davus.

If only Haplopelma weren't so interesting, then maybe we could talk a certain german fellow into sorting that mess out in south and central america ;)

Bill

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Martin,
Thanx for the interesting information, my German is a bit rusty and it took a while before I understood it all, but I think I do now. I'll send a mail to the dealer of the spiders (erato, www.to-erato.nl) and ask why he thought that the name had been changed.
One more interesting point you made about the french opinion that many C. (or D.) fasciatum are actually C. (or D.) pentaloris. Erato was selling both species, the fasciatum labeled as 'tiger rump', the pentaloris as 'dwarf tiger rump'.

Quote: "Und da wird es dann “lustig“. "
Haha, Lustig is my last name :)

greetz,
Joost

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, got an answer from the dealer, but I'm not happy with it... it doesn't clarify much. I have translated it for you guys:

"Hi,
Cyclosternum has indeed been changed to Davus. We don't have any literature about this, we as a company don't deal with that.
We get our information from scientists in England, as they are reliable and know what they are talking about.
We don't join discussion forums, as there is only whining and arguing between people who think they know much. And we are a company and not a hobby, so we don't belong there.
The name Cyclosternum is still used because that name is better known in the spiderworld. Sometimes it will take a while before people will accept or understand the changes.
Hoping to have informed you enough,
Friendly greetings,
......"

I especially didn't like the piece about the forums, he obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. This mail also comes over as very cocky, which I hadn't thought because of earlier dealings with the shop, bit dissappointing really.
If anyone knows if the remark about the scientists in England is correct, please let me know.
greetz,
Joost

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Even if there were a group of taxonomists in England who were in prepartion of a paper that would move Cyclosternum back to Davus it still means that your dealer is wrong. Until it's published, it doesn't matter in any official sense. If it has been published then it should be possible for someone to provide a citation. Anyone?