Cyclocosmia ricketti "Guangxi Turret Rump Trapdoor Spider"

The Flork

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!
I've been going crazy trying to find info on these guys

"Cyclocosmia ricketti"

and have read alot about them, but not very much about people successfully caring for them.

I've heard they are hardy and iv heard "oh my friend kept them" but no more info then that and never heard from the person keeping it aside from "it died days later".

i wanna make sure all my bases are covered before i try and buy one.

so any info on care or interesting caging other then a deli cup ;-)
and any leads on where to buy one when I'm ready would be greatly appreciated.

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
These are from South of me in China. The photo you've got there is from a local website and I think that they are doing illegal business here, most likely, because they list no local contact information, specifically a location. These are collected from Damingshan, not far from my wife's hometown. I will be searching for them next year. Info on most Chinese species is rather scarce, especially in China.. Sorry I can't help you more.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I can attest for the company being legal...in fact many US importers use them :)

Last edited:

The Flork

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys for the quick reply! i did e-mail them when i found the pic and they have a quick response time, Im just kinda scared to order it from so far away :-/

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ordering from outside the US is illegal w/o permits and fees being paid(for inspection and such)... The best plan to get them is to bug a few of the major dealers to order them.

The Flork

Arachnopeon
Ordering from outside the US is illegal w/o permits and fees being paid(for inspection and such)... The best plan to get them is to bug a few of the major dealers to order them.
aww bumber! the only other place i can find in the states that sells them is tarantulaspiders.com but they haven't replayed to me on their site or kingsnake i also hear they put up fake adds to gage interest so they might not even have them :-(

who would you recommend i go after?

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ask around to dealers like Ken The Bug Guy, Krazy8s and Crazy Daves Inverts, if none of them have them, ask if they can get them.

(Also, I wouldnt recommend tarantulaspiders.com, check out my review in the review section...But I know of a few people that have had decent luck buying from him...)

The Flork

Arachnopeon
(Also, I wouldnt recommend tarantulaspiders.com, check out my review in the review section...But I know of a few people that have had decent luck buying from him...)
haha yeah, thats actually how i found these boards, trying to find a review on tarantulaspiders.com. seems to me most negative feed back in general is when people try to trade bugs haha so I'm hoping who ever i buy my spider from will go smoothly.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
US species...

CTENIZIDAE

Cyclocosmia truncata

Synonym: Mygale truncata

Notes: Holotype from Alabama (no specific locality), destroyed. Gertsch and Platnick examined material from Cleburne, DeKalb, Hale, Jackson, Limestone, Madison, Marshall, Shelby, Talladega, and Tuscaloosa counties in Alabama. Habitat is moist, hardwood ravines.

Ref: Gertsch and Platnick 1975, Folkerts and Folkerts 1986.

Cyclocosmia torreya

Notes: Reported from northern Florida and southwestern Georgia. Some Alabama populations appear to be intermediate between this species and C. truncata

Ref.: Gertsch and Platnick 1975, Folkerts and Folkerts 1986.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most of the dealers out there are pretty decent to work with, I know Ken lives up in your area, so that might be a good place to start...(check out SFBATS too)

The Flork

Arachnopeon
Most of the dealers out there are pretty decent to work with, I know Ken lives up in your area, so that might be a good place to start...(check out SFBATS too)
yeah and iv also talked to him at the sac shows and got some roaches from him at tthe last one lol hopefully he can hook me up! :-D

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
species

I am working on getting a species of those later this year but i have to wait till the right season first. I will eventually carry them though.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
C. truncata is definitely in GA. I have wanted make a collecting trip, but I need to find out if they are protected. I have a nice paper on some collected from and observed on Lookout Mountain in the Smokies.

Seems I just missed a good time, as fall is when the males roam. I would only collect if I had a decent chance of breeding them. Suppose I could try to get a female early in the year, and then go back and try to get a male for breeding. Even if I could go, I have a feeling my chances of finding them are low. In the paper I read they found very few in several trips that they made.

The Flork

Arachnopeon
Well, if it's because of that pic you posted, you're in love with another spider!

That's C. latusicosta... Check out the caudal views in "Cyclocosmia From Tropical and Sub-Tropical China" as well as the accompanying text.
haha see i saw you say that in the other thread but and iv seen this pdf, but not tell the two came together did i see what your saying haha
yeah i definitely want the latusicosta!
thanks for the info!

The Flork

Arachnopeon
C. truncata is definitely in GA. I have wanted make a collecting trip, but I need to find out if they are protected. I have a nice paper on some collected from and observed on Lookout Mountain in the Smokies.

Seems I just missed a good time, as fall is when the males roam. I would only collect if I had a decent chance of breeding them. Suppose I could try to get a female early in the year, and then go back and try to get a male for breeding. Even if I could go, I have a feeling my chances of finding them are low. In the paper I read they found very few in several trips that they made.
i kinda rote off the truncata, because i didn't think it had the cool design, but i just found some nice photos of it and although not as epic as latusicosta, still pretty cool!
http://bugguide.net/node/view/174739
If you found an extra one id be very interested :-D