Cutest spiderlings?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Psalmopoeus irminia
E. cyanognathus
Most Pamphobeteus
Any Avicularia

I fit that description, and I'll tell you the real deal: If you don't want your photos to be stolen, you need to keep them offline. Consider anything you upload to be taken. That's just the attitude of the internet. The copyright law protects the photographer on paper, but is rarely enforced. Some people use watermarks to minimize this, but small ones are removed easily, and large ones ruin the enjoyment of the photo. My solution is to only upload a low resolution image that shows limited detail...if someone wants the original file to make a print on their wall, for example, they can pay (a very modest amount) for it. Macro is a challenging and specialized area of photography that not everyone can do, so I don't feel guilty about charging for the full-sized images that show so much detail that you can count the nose hairs of an insect. If someone wants to use a low resolution photo for a blog or something like that, odds are they will take it, use it, and I will never even know about it.
The other issue on this is stealing of bandwidth. If you show a picture only in this forum but the location is actually from another website they are being hit on bandwidth but not getting the benefit of the traffic. I think all of us forget and do this occasionally, but it is unfair to the owner of the data. This doesn't include Flickr, Photobucket, etc. since they allow linkage of photos.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Not T's but my Gandanameno sp slings where cute little buggers.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
So your OK with copyright infringement? At least one of the pics you posted is watermarked/copyrighted. Some people spend thousands on camera equipment and countless hours to perfect their technique, they deserve the credit/right to say if its OK to use.
Like you never copied and pasted any web pictures for a powerpoint presentation in middle school. They're online, and I can put them in a forum post on a forum site where we talk about spiders and bugs. I'm quite sure that I'm not stealing money from the photographers.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Like you never copied and pasted any web pictures for a powerpoint presentation in middle school. They're online, and I can put them in a forum post on a forum site where we talk about spiders and bugs. I'm quite sure that I'm not stealing money from the photographers.

LOL you aren't very observant, middle school for me was in the early 70"s
and I have copied/pasted google images but not where the rules of the forum don't allow it.
Peace

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
LOL you aren't very observant, middle school for me was in the early 70"s
Your age isn't posted on your profile. You know exactly what I meant though. And I've put pictures from the internet on the site before and no one said anything.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Computers didn't exist when I was in school, but I still had to create footnotes referencing the source for all information I put into a thesis or presentation. The teachers deducted points for failing include proper sources.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The other issue on this is stealing of bandwidth. If you show a picture only in this forum but the location is actually from another website they are being hit on bandwidth but not getting the benefit of the traffic.
Back in the day, many sites would block hotlinks to image, sometimes with embarrassing placeholder images. With data getting cheaper every year, bandwidth theft is likely less of an issue than it once was. (The lost traffic is more valuable if the site is selling ad space.)

Still, bandwidth and ad revenue aside, it's good etiquette to link to the original so that the creator gets the credit due. (Sometimes I will just upload a thumbnail and make a clickable link to the original source.)

Yes, since it's a link to the page where the image is found and not a direct link to the image file.