Curly tail lizard.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I caught this guy in a trap I set to try and catch the land crabs, it's totally adorable. But what type of curly tail is it?
IMG_20170609_171913164.jpg IMG_20170609_173154.jpg IMG_20170609_173134.jpg IMG_20170609_171925408.jpg IMG_20170609_171828625.jpg
On a far sadder note, one managed to sneak into the garage and hide under a carpet, and as a result, got accidentally stepped on and it's body cavity was ruptured, the poor guy needed to be euthanized sadly. I'm really bummed because I adore these non native guys, their tail curling is too cute.

Leila

Arachnobaron
I caught this guy in a trap I set to try and catch the land crabs, it's totally adorable. But what type of curly tail is it?
View attachment 243366 View attachment 243367 View attachment 243368 View attachment 243369 View attachment 243370
On a far sadder note, one managed to sneak into the garage and hide under a carpet, and as a result, got accidentally stepped on and it's body cavity was ruptured, the poor guy needed to be euthanized sadly. I'm really bummed because I adore these non native guys, their tail curling is too cute.
Aww, that is so sad about the one that was accidentally harmed. :( Cute little darlings though! So you said they are not native, but those pictured are wild caught?

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
View attachment 243366 View attachment 243367 View attachment 243368 View attachment 243369 View attachment 243370
If they're not native what do you do with them after catching them? Release them, keep them or kill them?

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I let them go again, it's pointless to try and cull them, they are very well established and spreading, brought here on purpose for pest control. Oops. :p

They are also smart enough to respond to their "name"...

I'd keep them if my circumstances permitted it but with another move in a year it's not worth the hassle, I already have to move a snapping turtle and scorpion.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
I let them go again, it's pointless to try and call them, they are very well established and spreading, brought here on purpose for pest control. Oops. :p
Sounds like some invasive animals over here *cough* cane toads *cough*. At least these little guys are cute and don't poison native animals

Leila

Arachnobaron
I am totally curious. Who introduced them into that area?

Leila

Arachnobaron
The government did, the idea that they would protect the sugar cane fields, in the 1940s.
I did not know that. :cat: (I suppose I could have searched the internet; but thank you for educating me. :shy:)

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
And the hobby gets a bad rap for dumping unwanted pets. Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying I doubt enough people are dumping enough to start a colony.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That one doesn't look like a curly tail to me but looks like a species of fence lizard or spiny tail, they are all closely related but the curly tails like the ground and sandy areas. Do you see that species climbing on trees and other things? The tail doesn't look like it's made to curl up due to the dorsal ridge and it looks too long and stiff to curl up, the toes and claws made more for climbing(?)

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That one doesn't look like a curly tail to me but looks like a species of fence lizard or spiny tail, they are all closely related but the curly tails like the ground and sandy areas. Do you see that species climbing on trees and other things? The tail doesn't look like it's made to curl up due to the dorsal ridge and it looks too long and stiff to curl up, the toes and claws made more for climbing(?)
Oh that tail curls alright, it promptly did so as I let it go. They do climb low level plants and trunks, but never go very high unless you chase them. If things are going their way, they prefer to remain firmly on the ground.

The pics don't show it well, but towards the end of the tail the colors and patterns get more pronounced, like a signal flag, or something.

Different specimen.
IMG_20170519_174804353.jpg

Last edited: