curly slings from Holley - update

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well.....all 10 of my curly slings i got from Holley are still alive and kicking....
i am having FTP problems at home so i cant upload any pictures for you guys to see how big they are now....
i went in to feed them yesterday and i had one that had moulted and one that refused food....so i guess its moult time again...
now they will be moulting into their 6th instar......the only one that has moulted already looks to be about the size of a wolf spider now....
i will have to get my FTP working at home so i can put up some pics fer yall!!!

so how is everyone else's "curly slings from Holley" doing??
mine seem to love their babyfood jars with 50/50 peat/verm mix......they love to burrow in it and they usually burrow up against the glass side of the jar so its cool to see them in their little homes.....especially when they grab a cricket and drag it down to its doom!!!

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine are alive and well and just completed another molt at the beginning of the month. They look like small curly hairs now as opposed to little bald spiders.

Botar

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hehehe.. I got some from jwb that love to flick hair... it's cute seeing little tiny babies do that.

Originally posted by Botar
Mine are alive and well and just completed another molt at the beginning of the month. They look like small curly hairs now as opposed to little bald spiders.

Botar

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Botar, are you keeping a moult record??
I am just curious if everyone else is coming up on 6th instar or are mine ahead or behind the game....

I can definitely tell their appetite is increasing......the first one to moult this week...i gave it a cricket the day after it moulted and it gobbled it up....then i gave it another cricket the next day and gobble, gobble, gobble.......

I need to find something else to feed them that they LIKE other than crickets....i dont really want to start keeping a bunch of two week crickets (crickets STINK! and the two week crickets dont seem to live as long)....and i have already tried mealworms and the slings dont seem to like them......it sure is COOL to see these little critters pounce on the two week crickets though.....

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, I'm keeping a molt record. They just completed their 3rd molt in my care in the first week of January. I'm not sure what instar that would be, but I think you are a bit ahead of me. All are alive and well though.

Botar

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I want to say all the ones I have left are either 5th or 6th instar. Quite a size difference too. Remember, I kept all the deformed ones, and the ones that hadn't molted properly. Out of all those, they are all healthy and looking great. Only one of them could I term 'failure to thrive'. Something just is not right with the poor little thing. It's only molted once since 2nd instar, so I guess this is still in it's 3rd instar.
Poor little thing.
Others are HUGE though, and growing out of the babyfood jars too!

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Holley, I was thinking the same thing.....probably by next moult they will be about too big for the babyfood jars.....i was hoping to keep them in the jars longer than that but, "Oh Well!!!" I guess I could get some mason jars or something a little bigger.....or perhaps even some of those real small Kritter Keeper type enclosures at Wal-Mart....(less than $3 each I think)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
sheesh.....they are molting AGAIN!
Wow, some of them are quite large, comparitivly speaking anyway!
I'm going to have to invest in some bigger containers pronto!
I took one out to have a look at him/her. Quite the cutie, and actually trying to flick some hairs at me too!
And FAST as well...not compared to the Usambaras, but quite respectable!
So, who else has an update? The Eternal? Lam? GQ? I'm trying to remember who all I sent them to.
I hope they are all fine!