Curly hair tarantula

Marley00

Arachnopeon
My eyesight isn’t the best, so I might be wrong but does this look like a tibial hook to anyone else? I blew it up a bit.
View attachment 352204
If I provide a pic of her flipped over when she molted would that help? I don’t notice tibial hooks on the legs but I’m new to Tarantulas so I might be missing something. I’m just going by what the 3 people that sexed her said. Let me know!

fatalgecko

Arachnopeon
I’d fill that enclosure up almost halfway with substrate. And I would personally remove the wood hide and switch over to cork bark. Those wood hides tend to grow mold easily. And like everyone said replace the lid.

But don’t be concerned about the temperament. It’s just doing its thing. It can change molt to molt. I have one that is tolerant and chill one molt. To a hair kicking ball of anger the next molt.

Marley00

Arachnopeon
I’d fill that enclosure up almost halfway with substrate. And I would personally remove the wood hide and switch over to cork bark. Those wood hides tend to grow mold easily. And like everyone said replace the lid.

But don’t be concerned about the temperament. It’s just doing its thing. It can change molt to molt. I have one that is tolerant and chill one molt. To a hair kicking ball of anger the next molt.
Ok thank you for your recommendation. I didn’t know the wood hide wasn’t desirable. I will look for cork bark. Appreciate the feedback!

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
If I provide a pic of her flipped over when she molted would that help? I don’t notice tibial hooks on the legs but I’m new to Tarantulas so I might be missing something. I’m just going by what the 3 people that sexed her said. Let me know!
It’s probably just me being goofy, if nobody else has seen them :lol: A close up clear pic of the pedipalps would help, as @Thekla said. Yes, post the flipped pic, if it’s clear. Being mm would explain the behaviour, but as already mentioned, not having deep enough sub to dig a burrow could make her wander.

I’m no expert, btw! But I remember reading here when I was doing my research that a wandering Brachypelma is a stressed Brachypelma, and that does seem to be the case quite often. (They were Brachypelmas then). My curly hair dug a deep burrow immediately she moved in, so cute to watch :happy:

Marley00

Arachnopeon
It’s probably just me being goofy, if nobody else has seen them :lol: A close up clear pic of the pedipalps would help, as @Thekla said. Yes, post the flipped pic, if it’s clear. Being mm would explain the behaviour, but as already mentioned, not having deep enough sub to dig a burrow could make her wander.

I’m no expert, btw! But I remember reading here when I was doing my research that a wandering Brachypelma is a stressed Brachypelma, and that does seem to be the case quite often. (They were Brachypelmas then). My curly hair dug a deep burrow immediately she moved in, so cute to watch :happy:
Hopefully these are good. Let me know😁

Attachments

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Ok thank you for your recommendation. I didn’t know the wood hide wasn’t desirable. I will look for cork bark. Appreciate the feedback!
I have the same wood hide as yours in m T. albo's enclosure. It's been in there a year and no mold.

Rozwyrazowana

Arachnopeon
I have MM T. albo and had a similar problem lately: I wanted to refill water and instead of going to his hide he stood in front of the water dish. It was like that for two days, then I fed him and everything went back to normal.

Marley00

Arachnopeon
I have MM T. albo and had a similar problem lately: I wanted to refill water and instead of going to his hide he stood in front of the water dish. It was like that for two days, then I fed him and everything went back to normal.
I just fed her yesterday. Hoping she calms down now. 🤞🏽

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Also not convinced that's not a mature male (especially with the smallish abdomen and climbing), but I can't say it's not female either. I can tell you that when my MM albo is hungry, he will attack the water I pour into his water bowl relentlessly. The behavior you described isn't concerning. Just something to be wary of when you do maintenance.

This is what to look for on a mature male albo. Palpal bulbs and tibial hooks.
20200214_230201.jpg 20200214_231249.jpg

For adding more substrate: it's as simple as putting a catch cup over the T or even the entrance to the hide if it's inside, then filling the substrate. I have had to do that with my LP to avoid being itchy for weeks.

Marley00

Arachnopeon
Is the picture on the left before or after it finished molting?
That’s during. When she flipped. Then molted same night

Also not convinced that's not a mature male (especially with the smallish abdomen and climbing), but I can't say it's not female either. I can tell you that when my MM albo is hungry, he will attack the water I pour into his water bowl relentlessly. The behavior you described isn't concerning. Just something to be wary of when you do maintenance.

This is what to look for on a mature male albo. Palpal bulbs and tibial hooks.
View attachment 352372 View attachment 352373

For adding more substrate: it's as simple as putting a catch cup over the T or even the entrance to the hide if it's inside, then filling the substrate. I have had to do that with my LP to avoid being itchy for weeks.
I don’t notice tibial hooks on mine at all. As far as the substrate, I was finally able to remove the house and get a catch cup in there. I am going to fill with more tonight 👍🏽 I will post pictures when I am done😁 I am doing step by step slowly bc she just ate and I don’t want her to mistake my hand for food 😬

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
That’s during. When she flipped. Then molted same night
Since that is before the old exoskeleton was actually shed, you won't be able to see the presence of emboli or tibial hooks -- those are only present on a mature male (after its final molt).

Marley00

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I was finally able to get some more substrate in there. I added to where the substrate is at 5 1/2” and the whole in closure is 10” high. So half way-ish. Hope this is better for her. Here are some pictures too...
***SIDE NOTE: She is calm again, I fed her 2 crickets (she ate them right away) and she’s been nice since... I will up her feedings to keep her happy😁

Attachments

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Nice nail polish! I like how it matches the water bowl! You did that on purpose, right?

Great that you've added more substrate, big improvement. It looks a bit loose though. If it were me, I would add a little bit more substrate still, and them tamp it down firmly to give the spider more secure footing.

NathanB

Arachnosquire
I thought curly haired tarantulas were supposed to be docile and not aggressive? My girl recently has been trying to attack my hand every time I go to give her water. As in, she runs out of her “house” to come attack, or across the tank, stands up and strikes. Nothing has changed other than she molted about a month ago. Is this a sign of something? Is she hungry? I feed her 2 crickets every other week. Thanks!
Same with mine! When i got her she was really calm, since she has shed her skin she moves really quick and bites at anything in the tank.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Same with mine! When i got her she was really calm, since she has shed her skin she moves really quick and bites at anything in the tank.
LOL they are definitely awesome. One of the 4 I have is the same way and can move pretty fast if it wants to.

Marley00

Arachnopeon
Nice nail polish! I like how it matches the water bowl! You did that on purpose, right?

Great that you've added more substrate, big improvement. It looks a bit loose though. If it were me, I would add a little bit more substrate still, and them tamp it down firmly to give the spider more secure footing.
Oh totally did the nail color on purpose! 😂 once she went in to her little house I did ended up pushing the sub down to pack a little better. She’s a happy camper now!

So she was just hungry? :D

That looks better. Has she done any digging yet?
She hasn’t done any digging. Doesn’t even look like she’s trying too. She is making use of her “house” again though, she stopped going in it for a while but she’s back to using it. 😁

Last edited by a moderator: