Curly hair tarantula

Marley00

Arachnopeon
I thought curly haired tarantulas were supposed to be docile and not aggressive? My girl recently has been trying to attack my hand every time I go to give her water. As in, she runs out of her “house” to come attack, or across the tank, stands up and strikes. Nothing has changed other than she molted about a month ago. Is this a sign of something? Is she hungry? I feed her 2 crickets every other week. Thanks!

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
No matter what any individual specimen can be horrible defensive for calm species, or crazy docile for the most defensive.
Both happen all the time
I suggest you buy some very long tongs

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Does it have a hide to hide in?

please post pictures of the entire enclosure

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
Nothing has changed other than she molted about a month ago. Is this a sign of something? Is she hungry? I feed her 2 crickets every other week. Thanks!

Also mood change after molting is common. How big is she?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
They are neither docile, nor aggressive. Tarantulas are either tolerant, or defensive, or both. And, while a species, or even genus, might have a reputation of being more tolerant, there are absolutely no guarantees that every single individual is tolerant.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'slapping'. This could simply be a food response, since this is a very food oriented species. Slapping at the water is a sure sign of a food response. And if you're tong feeding, then it is not uncommon for them to jump on the tongs. I have had situations where I've gotten too close when dumping the cricket in and the spider has met me part way as well and that is definitely food response.
What size are they?

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
The Tlitocatl Genus in general can definitely be pretty "spicy" in my opinion.

A really active genus. Dirt movers. Actually move anything they can! Get bolder with every molt IME.

Fun slings to raise!

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
They are live animals, like any other of course not every single one acts exactly the same but they are generally a more docile species. Temperaments can also change for a specimen over time or especially after a molt.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Please post pictures of the whole enclosure and let us know what size your T. albo is.

Secondly, never use your hands to do maintenance or give water! What you see is probably a feeding response and you don't want to get tagged, even it's just to test if you're edible.

Adrinium

Arachnosquire
sometimes they just be like that. mine has given me threat postures before, but it's super rare.

Marley00

Arachnopeon
They are neither docile, nor aggressive. Tarantulas are either tolerant, or defensive, or both. And, while a species, or even genus, might have a reputation of being more tolerant, there are absolutely no guarantees that every single individual is tolerant.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'slapping'. This could simply be a food response, since this is a very food oriented species. Slapping at the water is a sure sign of a food response. And if you're tong feeding, then it is not uncommon for them to jump on the tongs. I have had situations where I've gotten too close when dumping the cricket in and the spider has met me part way as well and that is definitely food response.
What size are they?
Im not sure where you saw that I said “slapping”, but I think you meant “stand up striking“. This is a new thing. You could be right though, she does this when I change water, that’s why I had asked if I am feeding her enough? She’s a big girl. I will post a pic as everyone is asking for it. Thanks for the feedback!

Please post pictures of the whole enclosure and let us know what size your T. albo is.

Secondly, never use your hands to do maintenance or give water! What you see is probably a feeding response and you don't want to get tagged, even it's just to test if you're edible.
I posted a picture on another reply. She is a big girl. And yes I need more substrate, just been iffy on getting in there with her striking at me.

Here are a couple pictures of her and my setup. Before anyone says it... I know I need more substrate. I’m kinda iffy on getting in there now that she’s striking at me. Any suggestions? I don’t want to just pour more in and piss her off😂 Thanks!

Attachments

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Is that a woven screen mesh top? The spider could get a foot stuck in the screen, so that's not recommended.

Marley00

Arachnopeon
Is that a woven screen mesh top? The spider could get a foot stuck in the screen, so that's not recommended.
Yeah, I already have another lid on order, even though the holes are super tiny I didn’t want to chance it. She climbs on it all the time and hasn’t got a foot caught, but I’m changing it anyway👍🏽

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Temperament can vary GREATLY between individuals of the same species. Tarantulas can also appear to be aggressive when they're in an incorrect setup. If their environment doesn't have enough substrate to create a deep burrow and there are few hiding places, for instance, the tarantula may feel vulnerable/ exposed and feel the need to behave defensively to protect itself from predators. They also have very poor eyesight and may see something moving and mistake it as a prey item (this includes your fingers!). In general it's never a good idea to stick your hands directly into a tarantula's enclosure. It's good to get into the habit of doing your enclosure maintenance using tongs. I'd also suggest looking at photos of setups for T. albopilosus on the site, because I see several things about your setup that need to fixed. It's okay...people who are new to the hobby often make husbandry mistakes at first! I think that your tarantula would be less defensive if she were in the correct setup. There's a wealth of information on this site if you search for it.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Use a catch cup and put in more substrate. Make sure to pack it down. Waiting is futile.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I just realised we had this discussion about the lid and the substrate level in early February already... FIVE months ago! And you didn't add any substrate whatsoever or replaced the lid. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm still not convinced this is indeed a female... it could be a mature male for all I can see. You never posted clear pictures of the pedipalps either.

And I'm sorry if this might sound rude to you again, but when we give advice and nothing happens, it's kinda annoying and also a waste of time, tbh. :)

Marley00

Arachnopeon
I just realised we had this discussion about the lid and the substrate level in early February already... FIVE months ago! And you didn't add any substrate whatsoever or replaced the lid. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm still not convinced this is indeed a female... it could be a mature male for all I can see. You never posted clear pictures of the pedipalps either.

And I'm sorry if this might sound rude to you again, but when we give advice and nothing happens, it's kinda annoying and also a waste of time, tbh. :)
I did add more actually, maybe you just can’t tell in the picture but yeah I waited on the lid. That’s being taken care of as well as more sub when I feel comfortable to catch her. I also say she bc after she recently molted I went to 3 reptile stores and had her sexed. All 3 said female. Thanks for your feedback but if it’s a waste of your time, you don’t need to respond to my questions 😉

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I have 2 Curly Hairs, One "Hobby Form" and the other form. They are both slings but have really dug out the substrate to make deep 2 ended burrows. They slip into them everytime I open for a feeding. Since yours does not really have enough room to make a burrow it is pretty much in fight mode.

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
My eyesight isn’t the best, so I might be wrong but does this look like a tibial hook to anyone else? I blew it up a bit.
210359CD-1F77-42E9-A9F6-22316F34604A.jpeg