Curly hair tarantula tarantula vs Hamster

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Con, if you feed it your hamster mealworms and steal your family’s lettuce, people don’t like it. Feeding a natural diet is gross but if you have a carnivorous tarantula or pet, people don’t question it. Another con is they are annoying as hell and will keep you up until 4 am on their stupid wheel. The only pros are they are fluffy, they are fun to feed fruit, and they are fun to watch run around. Tarantulas are better in their own way. Also, the title made me think you were making tarantulas fight hamsters.

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
I've kept hamsters twice when I was young, first a single one and than got another pair when the first one died. They are cute and sometimes interactive, but they often bite and can produce odor. Also gave me a bit of shock when the female ate half of the male's face off and than eventually gave birth to a bunch. I gotta say they are quite "nuts" ;)
In my opinion tarantulas are far easier and way more interesting despite them being inverts, and feels more fitting in a bioactive enclosures (please do correct if wrong). Same goes to many reptile species.

I also used to hate dogs a lot until I adopted one a couple weeks ago and I can't love him enough now. Maybe because he looks more like a fox

Attachments

Last edited:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I bet 9/10 people who think hamsters are a better pet would keep them in inadequate enclosures. They require a ton of floor space in an enclosure and most people think the little wire ones sold in pet stores are good…not even close.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ts are so much simpler to care for in comparison... plus the no smell bit. Major, MAJOR plus right there.

I generally don't have issues with dogs... but when it's time to say goodbye, it hurts big time. For that reason, I'm done with dogs. The emotional pain is just too much. Probably, I'll react in a similar fashion when one of my Ts finally pass of old age, but given that I feed sparingly and keep them somewhat cooler (72F) compared to a lot of keepers out there, I feel none of mine will be kicking the bucket anytime soon.

Myrlina

Arachnosquire
I bet 9/10 people who think hamsters are a better pet would keep them in inadequate enclosures. They require a ton of floor space in an enclosure and most people think the little wire ones sold in pet stores are good…not even close.
I remember seeing a TV program about pet behaviour where someone complained that their hamster chewed the bars of its cage constantly. The expert rehoused it into a big enclosure with burrowing opportunities and the hamster promptly disappeared underground. Were they happy? No, because the cute fluffball was not on display 24/7 for them to gawp at.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Ts are so much simpler to care for in comparison... plus the no smell bit. Major, MAJOR plus right there.

I generally don't have issues with dogs... but when it's time to say goodbye, it hurts big time. For that reason, I'm done with dogs. The emotional pain is just too much. Probably, I'll react in a similar fashion when one of my Ts finally pass of old age, but given that I feed sparingly and keep them somewhat cooler (72F) compared to a lot of keepers out there, I feel none of mine will be kicking the bucket anytime soon.
I was gonna mention the smell if no one else did. The only rodents I liked keeping were rats, because at least they were smart... though they still smelled and made a ton of mess.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
I had a little hamster called Morris, he was ace. Unfortunately only lasted a few years...
People think they're the perfect starter pet for kids, they are seriously not! Nocturnal for starters, bitey, noisy, delicate, cannibalistic, also get horrendous illnesses quite easily...
I wanted a tarantula when I was about 10 but my dad didn't get me one..I sure showed him!!
My Ts are hands down easier to keep with the added bonus of not getting a sitter in to feed them. Morris was super cute though IMG_20160909_230633.jpg

basin79

ArachnoGod
I used to get this one a lot and it's funny watching people get all bent out of shape when I tell them that I can't stand dogs.
Can't stand dogs!!!! If true and not typed to prove a point it's absolute proof aliens are amongst us.

And hamsters are omnivores. Pop a few crickets in their cage and watch them hunt. Had a hamster called Dave. Used to feed him a few crickets a week or locust, morioworm.

Here's Dave eating a morioworm. 07C788FB-BC38-4721-B146-53520B8C925A.jpeg

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
People say a lot of things because they love to talk (not always in bad faith) about stuff they don't know. For instance, they will never say to someone that is into aquariums to "... buy a dog or keep a cat" instead of keeping a tropical fish.

They say such a thing in regards to T's (and such) because they think that the person they are talking with it's just a bizarre one or a weirdo. It's genuine ignorance and nothing else.

As for the 'Pros' and 'Cons' of the comparison, those are way totally different animals, can't be compared. Caring for a Theraphosidae (notably that species in question) is incredibly easy, while the caring of an hamster, at 360°, require more time, dedication, cleaning etc

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Can't stand dogs!!!! If true and not typed to prove a point it's absolute proof aliens are amongst us.

And hamsters are omnivores. Pop a few crickets in their cage and watch them hunt. Had a hamster called Dave. Used to feed him a few crickets a week or locust, morioworm.

Here's Dave eating a morioworm. View attachment 389292
Love Dave! 😍

basin79

ArachnoGod
Love Dave! 😍
He was brilliant. Absolutely bit the hell out if me (until I realised to accept his decision to not be handled) but what a little hunter he was.

He could be asleep, buried and I could drop a few crickets in to his cage and there'd be movement.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
He was brilliant. Absolutely bit the hell out if me (until I realised to accept his decision to not be handled) but what a little hunter he was.

He could be asleep, buried and I could drop a few crickets in to his cage and there'd be movement.
Amazing!
When I got Morris he was petrified.. he bit me as I opened his carry box and legged it into his enclosure. He wouldn't come out of his little house... I did some research and found that hamsters recognise the sound of your voice. So for about 3 weeks I'd go into his room (he had the box room!!) And read a chunk of whatever book I was reading at the time.
Slowly but surely he started coming out and then turned into a brazen little bugger!
I also didn't really handle much. We had the odd cuddle but he preferred zooming around the house in his ball!!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Very much true, I'm sure a lot of it is because of crap owners who are incapable of properly training them/keeping them under control but they just annoy the hell out of me.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Very much true, I'm sure a lot of it is because of crap owners who are incapable of properly training them/keeping them under control but they just annoy the hell out of me.
I can't type "dogs are the best thing about living" because even though that's true for me other humans type it about breeding/kids/partners/marriage and how that's the best for them.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Just a random thread idea. People ask me why get a tarantula when I could get say a dog or a cat and my response is normally "I have a cat as well". It's silly because although they're both considered pets a tarantula is not really in the same league as a cat or a dog. It is in the same league as a Hamster tho so I felt like comparing them. In this case let's compare a Tliltocatl abopilosus with a Syrian Hamster. I'll admit I'm probably biased so take this as a bit of fun with a pinch of salt.

Tliltocatl abopilosus
Pros
- Lives waaay longer than a hamster. Even males
- Rarely needs cleaning
- Can be considered cute
- Gives warning before biting (most of the time)
- Makes no noise
- Feeding live prey is cooler but can be considered a con.

Cons
- feeding live prey may not be your thing
- Handling is frowned upon
- most of the time it doesn't really do anything
-flicks hairs
-Bites although not fatal can be uncomfortable

Syrian Hamster

Pros
- Cute
- Very entertaining to watch
- a wildly accepted pet by most people
- Handling isn't frowned upon
- They're cute when they eat instead of savage

Cons
- Bites and it hurts (I've found) without warning
-very noisy
-very messy
-Doesn't live very long

Feel free to criticise and add more
There's pros and cons to everything but people that love animals don't fuss about the cons so much.

The biggest cons are with dogs and not what most people that want one admit at first to themselves. Which is the scamming veterinarians that have requirements on said test before they will give the vaccine you went in for.

Best example, it's time for your dog's rabies shot. Rabies shot is actually cheap. You walk in thinking it's going to cost you what? $15 maybe $25, and after leaving you just dropped $200 to $300, yeah......

All the vets have a recipe now for milking customers of their cash. I personally started to notice this trend in the early 2000's like 2001 to be exact. Now it's through the roof.

I can't tell you just how much I spent keeping my dog going at vets to 10.5 years from when I got her at 6 months old. I really don't know how I afforded it all especially when she had to go on medications.

So after a long winded rant I would say the bigger the animal especially anything mammal the cons are always going to be the vets forefront.

Yes I am a little sour towards them.

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There's pros and cons to everything but people that love animals don't fuss about the cons so much.

The biggest cons are with dogs and not what most people that want one admit at first to themselves. Which is the scamming veterinarians that have requirements on said test before they will give the vaccine you went in for.

Best example, it's time for your dog's rabies shot. Rabies shot is actually cheap. You walk in thinking it's going to cost you what? $15 maybe $25, and after leaving you just dropped $200 to $300, yeah......

All the vets have a recipe now for milking customers of their cash. I personally started to notice this trend in the early 2000's like 2001 to be exact. Now it's through the roof.

I can't tell you just how much I spent keeping my dog going at vets to 10.5 years from when I got her at 6 months old. I really don't know how I afforded it all especially when she had to go on medications.

So after a long winded rant I would say the bigger the animal especially anything mammal the cons are always going to be the vets forefront.

Yes I am a little sour towards them.
I agree, I brought my cat in for an eye problem and they gave her a big look over and told me I should probably also have another completely unrelated thing done which was £300-£500. I said I'll think about it then asked around to see what other people think. My boss told me they're just trying to make money off me.