Curly hair tarantula tarantula vs Hamster

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just a random thread idea. People ask me why get a tarantula when I could get say a dog or a cat and my response is normally "I have a cat as well". It's silly because although they're both considered pets a tarantula is not really in the same league as a cat or a dog. It is in the same league as a Hamster tho so I felt like comparing them. In this case let's compare a Tliltocatl abopilosus with a Syrian Hamster. I'll admit I'm probably biased so take this as a bit of fun with a pinch of salt.

Tliltocatl abopilosus
Pros
- Lives waaay longer than a hamster. Even males
- Rarely needs cleaning
- Can be considered cute
- Gives warning before biting (most of the time)
- Makes no noise
- Feeding live prey is cooler but can be considered a con.

Cons
- feeding live prey may not be your thing
- Handling is frowned upon
- most of the time it doesn't really do anything
-flicks hairs
-Bites although not fatal can be uncomfortable

Syrian Hamster

Pros
- Cute
- Very entertaining to watch
- a wildly accepted pet by most people
- Handling isn't frowned upon
- They're cute when they eat instead of savage

Cons
- Bites and it hurts (I've found) without warning
-very noisy
-very messy
-Doesn't live very long

Feel free to criticise and add more

Last edited:

LucN

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can get the appeal for a hamster, but their short lifespan and the fact that they're mostly active at night would be a deal breaker for me. Plus, I'm not sure I'd adjust to its running on its wheel while I'm trying to sleep.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I think it is Tliltocatl abopilosus ;)

Can't comment on warnings before bites. I have never bitten by one, nor any of my other Ts. And warning? I think OBTs give more of a warning by stretching their legs out for a hug.

I don't think T. albopilosus has medically significant venom. And you will not have lasting effects from it either.

'most of the time it doesn't really do anything' is a pro, in my opinion. It means they do not need as much room, so I can keep more spiders.

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think it is Tliltocatl abopilosus ;)

Can't comment on warnings before bites. I have never bitten by one, nor any of my other Ts. And warning? I think OBTs give more of a warning by stretching their legs out for a hug.

I don't think T. albopilosus has medically significant venom. And you will not have lasting effects from it either.

'most of the time it doesn't really do anything' is a pro, in my opinion. It means they do not need as much room, so I can keep more spiders.
Oops will correct

The medically significant venom bit I forgot I was just talking about the Curly Hair lol

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
I must admit that, reading the thread title, I thought it will contain a link to the part of Youtube where no sane person should go...

HeartBum

Arachnosquire
<edit>.... Part of a Facebook group (that was my mistake already, I know) where someone posted yesterday (trolling) that their hamster was dying and could they feed it to their T... Thanks for bringing up the PTSD, OP :sick:

Last edited by a moderator:

Emi248

Arachnosquire
Extra Cons of the hamster
-Gets Boring to watch it adapt to its surroundings

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Curly pros
- It's not a freaking hamster.🎖🏆🏅

Hamster pros
- They're short lived so your house won't smell like piss for long.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
- Bites and it hurts (I've found) without warning
I've never been bitten by any T or other spider in my care. When I was younger my sisters' hamsters and gerbils bit me all the time, though.

It is in the same league as a Hamster tho so I felt like comparing them.
True. Both are small, hairy, and are hands-off 'cos you'll drop them when they bite you...

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
Eh, I have it easy because people already know I have all the other pets already..

I actually treat hamsters the same as T's, they are both 'hands off' pets as far as I'm concerned.

The hamster is misleadingly precious looking for being a horribly aggressive little biter.

I was almost beguiled into bringing a hamster home again last week as the local petco had a gorgeous hamster in a color I hadn't seen before. BUT, my last pet rat died last year and it's been wonderful not having rodent pee smell in the house. I was pretty fastidious with their cleaning, but, even so they would be overpowering by the time I got home from work.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
In the past I've kept hamsters, rats, gerbils, even rabbits and guinea pigs (and budgies). Tarantulas are way more fun and a lot less work!