Curly hair spiderling

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I just got my first tarantula today in the mail, a very small curly hair sling. Unfortunately I cannot find any pinhead crickets to feed it. I have small crickets, but there larger then the tarantula. I read that you could crush the crickets head and the sling would eat it. Is this accurate or should I try to find another way? I'm open to any and all suggestions, thanks!

Attachments

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can even give it just a leg off an adult (store bought) cricket. :)

cold blood

Staff member
Yes, it will scavenge....mealworm pieces, cricket legs or halves or small roaches with crushed heads all work.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Yes, it will scavenge....mealworm pieces, cricket legs or halves or small roaches with crushed heads all work.
thanks y'all, any other things I should worry about with a spiderling? I have it in a little deli container with some coco fiber substrate that's decently moist

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
thanks y'all, any other things I should worry about with a spiderling? I have it in a little deli container with some coco fiber substrate that's decently moist
you could put it in something smaller.. that cage is a little big, might be tough even spotting the spider. also, you should definitely add a water dish. you can let the sub dry out a bit too.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
you could put it in something smaller.. that cage is a little big, might be tough even spotting the spider. also, you should definitely add a water dish. you can let the sub dry out a bit too.
Would a bottle cap work? I'm concerned with how small it is

cold blood

Staff member
I have it in a little deli container with some coco fiber substrate that's decently moist
That's perfect. When it gets a little larger, like around an inch, then you can move it to a deli cup, at that point you will have enough room for a water dish.

you can let the sub dry out a bit too.
While its true that its best kept on damp, or at least partially damp substrate, but he's right, you can let that dry out quite a bit. Keep in mind that way too much moisture can be just as bad as way too little. There's a wide safety range, but either extreme can result in a dead spider.

Little albos are generally pretty good eaters...so if it refuses, don't worry, just watch for as blackening rump, cause its molt time.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I'm pretty good about humidity thanks to my scorpions, and my little sling just drug the cricket to its burrow and has started fiesting, which makes me relived!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Two out of my three are terrific burrowers and I rarely see them. Don't be concerned if yours ends up burrowing, it is very common for this species. Both my burrowers have these fantastic tunnels that they love to run around in. :)

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Two out of my three are terrific burrowers and I rarely see them. Don't be concerned if yours ends up burrowing, it is very common for this species. Both my burrowers have these fantastic tunnels that they love to run around in. :)
The Only invertebrates I own are burrows (for now, 2 scorpions and an centipede) I'm use to not seeing my centipede for a few days so I'm cool with that :)

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have 12 teenies about that size. I crunched small cricket heads and threw those in first few months. After awhile, I started feeding smaller meal worms. All 12 take them. Get smaller deli cups and make the sub like that on 25% of it. I took fake leaves and put in with my tinies for hides.