Curly Hair hasn't come out in months

AmyNicole

Arachnopeon
Hello!
We got our adult Curly Hair in September. He (?) was always a good eater and moved around alot. In late October we moved him into a 10 gallon tank and he ate a few times after that. Shortly after (maybe a week) he closed off his hidey hole completely except a small hole we can see in. This was beginning of November. We check through that hole maybe once a week and he'll occasionally turn around. We assumed he was going into premolt but it's been almost three months and he hasn't laid down any webbing or anything inside of his hidey.
I was bad and moved some of the dirt tonight to try and drop in a worm, but he went straight into threat pose and refused to eat.

This was our first T (we've since gotten a Versicolor sling and a Blue Fang Sling), so I'm not sure if this is anything to be worried about? Should I just leave him be until whenever he does decide to come out?

Thank you! And sorry for the long explanation! (Picture of his enclosure when we first put him in)

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Plump ts do not require food. Your t is showing all the signs of pre molt...hiding away, refusing food and even threat posturing prey when offered. You can just stop trying to feed. Its always best to wait for a t to emerge and get in a hunting posture before feeding...never put food down a ts burrow, its just never a good idea.

You just need to be patient, these things can take some time, in some cases a year or more.

AmyNicole

Arachnopeon
Plump ts do not require food. Your t is showing all the signs of pre molt...hiding away, refusing food and even threat posturing prey when offered. You can just stop trying to feed. Its always best to wait for a t to emerge and get in a hunting posture before feeding...never put food down a ts burrow, its just never a good idea.

You just need to be patient, these things can take some time, in some cases a year or more.
Thank you! I kinda knew I was wrong trying to drop food in and shouldn't have done it. My impatience got the best of me. Lesson learned!
I appreciate your response though! I will just continue to leave him be until he decides to come out.

Last question! Should I move that bit of dirt that I moved back to close off the hidey? Or let him do it?

cold blood

Staff member
Should I move that bit of dirt that I moved back to close off the hidey? Or let him do it?
Nah, just leave the t do its t things, no need to help, if it wants the door closed, it will close it, until then, you have a hole to see inside.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah just leave the Tliltocatl to do its thing, it will molt and come out when it’s ready, likely not before that.

And yeah just to emphasize never drop prey down a burrow that had been sealed off, that’s a great way to have prey munch on a defenseless morning tarantula.

I’d get a bigger and deeper water dish and keep it full until it comes out, the one you have is quite small for the size of your T.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful enclosure, though it could use a bit more substrate. You don't want more than 1.5 times the legspan of your spider from substrate level to lid. This is to minimize fall incidents in which it could injure itself. Barring that and a larger, deeper water dish, everything else is spot on. I'm sure your T loves her hide. That looks great.