curly hair climbing walls

zxneon

Arachnosquire
My brachypelma albopilosum is climbing walls . what can i do ? add more substrate ? If i add more substrate she wont be tempted to climb into those roof holes ?
And do she actually need hide ? she never even attempted to use it just covered with webbing .

Attachments

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
They like it dry, but too dry is loose and they don't like walking on that either. You could add a bit more substrate. Jungle mix packs down much better and never gets dry and powdery.

Stig

Arachnopeon
I would add substrate but does not look that high but they are opportunistic burrowers. I would make bigger hide for her out of Cork.
So larger hide with a fair amount af stamped Down substrate under, so she can burrow if she wants to.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Firstly, always provide a hide. It should be their choice to not use one.

Secondly, if it was recently rehoused, then this is completely normal. Tarantulas will explore every square centimeter of their enclosure before settling down. This can take anywhere from a day to months. It should be nearly bone dry in there - if it's too humid, then that's another reason for her climbing.

Stig

Arachnopeon

Secondly, if it was recently rehoused, then this is completely normal. Tarantulas will explore every square centimeter of their enclosure before settling down. This can take anywhere from a day to months. It should be nearly bone dry in there - if it's too humid, then that's another reason for her climbing.
I don't think humidity as in to damp is a problem, looks like the floor in saw mill :)

zxneon

Arachnosquire

I got her no so long ago 3 weeks ago maybe so thats may count as recently rehoused . Never seen her doing so . Substrate is dry . Only recent change is temperature . Now here we have 77f room temperature . I did feed her today so her mind is occupied :D
So question is - need i add more substrate for her safety (in photo hard to see but substrate is about 3 inches) . When i catch doing so she does not fall down but sort of touches ground with rear legs and lands normally .

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I got her no so long ago 3 weeks ago maybe so thats may count as recently rehoused . Never seen her doing so . Substrate is dry . Only recent change is temperature . Now here we have 77f room temperature . I did feed her today so her mind is occupied :D
So question is - need i add more substrate for her safety (in photo hard to see but substrate is about 3 inches) . When i catch doing so she does not fall down but sort of touches ground with rear legs and lands normally .
The height honestly looks fine... although, the enclosure and hide look much too small. Can you take a picture of the enclosure with a bird's eye view?

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Everyone saying Brachypelma albopilosum like it dry, need to see where they come from. ;)

http://mantid.nl/tarantula/albopilosum.html

OP: Add more substrate, dampen it, make a starter burrow under that pot and make sure you don't have a mature male(pic provided wasn't enough to tell).

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Everyone saying Brachypelma albopilosum like it dry, need to see where they come from. ;)

http://mantid.nl/tarantula/albopilosum.html
I never let the area around the water dish dry out completely, but they don't seem to thrive in an enclosure that is kept predominantly moist. I tried keeping mine much more humid after you (or someone else, don't remember) posted that link, and my girls did nothing but roam until it dried out. They seem to like the lower layers of substrate moist with the top layer being nearly completely dry.

zxneon

Arachnosquire
The height honestly looks fine... although, the enclosure and hide look much too small. Can you take a picture of the enclosure with a bird's eye view?
enclosure size is ok i think (exoterra medium i think it is) , only hide is small going to change it tomorow

Attachments

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I never let the area around the water dish dry out completely, but they don't seem to thrive in an enclosure that is kept predominantly moist. I tried keeping mine much more humid after you (or someone else, don't remember) posted that link, and my girls did nothing but roam until it dried out. They seem to like the lower layers of substrate moist with the top layer being nearly completely dry.
If you just overflow the water dish area every time to keep the humidity up, you should be alright. :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
enclosure size is ok i think (exoterra medium i think it is) , only hide is small going to change it tomorow
Size is fine, but yeah, the hide is pretty small. You want something without a bottom, like a broken terracotta pot. Feel free to have a much bigger water dish as well. Good job not cluttering the enclosure with unnecessary decorations :)

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Hide size is fine. You'd be surprised how large females come out of quarter sized burrows in the wild. ;) Cut the pot in half and start a burrow after you have added at least 4-5" of substrate.

zxneon

Arachnosquire
What is she doing ? Now she wants to be bulldozer . Digging and pushing substrate but not attempting to dig burrow . Why ?

Attachments

Stig

Arachnopeon
...same thing as all women do.....she's redecorating her home :)
They will often/some times do that........thats! a T for you
She won't burrow in that substrate much to Loose....it should be hard as solid ground, then she might burrow.

I have with sucess bought cup's for my T's, the one's that go under flower pots...can hold a fair amount of shallow Water and is not easy to be moved by the T...and they are easy to clean and hygenic as they are glased...I would if I where you replace the plastic cup with such a seramic undercup, they are also dirt cheap:

regards

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
My brachypelma albopilosum is climbing walls . what can i do ? add more substrate ? If i add more substrate she wont be tempted to climb into those roof holes ?
And do she actually need hide ? she never even attempted to use it just covered with webbing .
The enclosure needs a lot more substrate, there should be enough substrate in the enclosure to allow a gap of the DLS of the spider x 1.5 say your spider is 5" you should leave a gap of 7.5", the substrate looks fluffy and dry, dry is fine for a B. albo but the sub is too loose, you'll need to put the spider in a temporary container for a little while, fill the enclosure until the required space is left as explained above, then tamp it down, provide a water dish, overflow it once a week that's it - then your spider will be as happy as a spider can be - LOL

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Yes add more substrate, it will appreciate the deeper sub as they can fall and really can
damage themselves from the height I can see.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
That's a good sign she's taken prey, but please for the sake of your spider, replace the substrate, fill the enclosure until the desired space is left, to avoid any falls, also a water dish and hide are essential whether it uses the hide or not always give it a choice, good luck pal.

zxneon

Arachnosquire
That's a good sign she's taken prey, but please for the sake of your spider, replace the substrate, fill the enclosure until the desired space is left, to avoid any falls, also a water dish and hide are essential whether it uses the hide or not always give it a choice, good luck pal.
i`m now drying some substrate to add . is it good idea to add damp substrate or better wait till it dries more ?

Stig

Arachnopeon
i`m now drying some substrate to add . is it good idea to add damp substrate or better wait till it dries more ?
Does not realy matter, though she might not like it damp, it will dry out....the impotant thing is hight as said...and tamp it hard Down so it feels like hard ground.